Handsfree no longer working, need help for aftermarket solution

Ok so my wife and I just purchased a new/used 2013 dodge journey. Part of the reason we got it, is because my wife drives a lot for her business and the hands free was excellent. after 3 weeks the bluetooth feature stopped working. brought it to the dealer and they just unplugged the neg. on the battery etc... it worked again for 2 days and stopped. The dealership now wants to charge us over $600.00 to fix. F**K THAT.... I am pretty decent at repairs and DIY fixes so I purchased a BOSS Audio BV9370B Double Din, Touchscreen, Bluetooth, MP3/USB/SD AM/FM Car Stereo, 6.5 Inch Digital LCD Monitor. I need to know what else I am going to need to be able to install this neatly and retain the SWC and other features. Please if you know what I will need your help will majorly appreciated. If you need any other info I will provide it. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.s. I can not find a dash bezel that will fit this head unit.

Instead of going the nuclear option (which may or may not work, and is likely to cause all sorts of other problems since the entire climate control system routes through the OEM radio), did you try finding the correct Hands Free Module part number from the dealership for your vehicle?

If it's a failed Bluetooth module (which they call the Hands Free Module), a "reboot" (which is caused by them disconnecting the battery) may have temporarily fixed it ("when in doubt, reboot").  If so, Try replacing it first (it's located behind the steering column).

If that doesn't fix it, then replace the OEM radio with another OEM radio. Those are pretty much the only components (other than the steering wheel button panel - btw, have you tried using the phone directly through the radio instead of just the steering wheel buttons?) involved in the hands free setup.  The final component failure assumption I'm making here (because you really didn't give a lot of information other than "it doesn't work") is a dead microphone, which would require replacement of the rear view mirror.

Also, and I truly hope you tried this before spending tons of money, did you delete the device pairing from both the radio AND the phone, then pair the phone to the radio again?

One last point - given the $600 price tag, my guess is they suspect a failed Hands Free Module (the part retails for ~$300, plus the hour and a half of labor it would likely take to get to it, replace it, and put the dashboard back together.  $600 doesn't get you a new radio head unit.

For reference sake, the part will look similar to this (this may or may not be the right part number for your particular vehicle - check with a dealer before you buy anything):

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/Dodge_2013_JourneyFWD--36L-V6-24V-VVT--6-Speed-Automatic-62TESXT/MODULE-Telematics/10583090/68222278AA.html

• 9 months later...

Does anybody know if you can just swap out the bluetooth module and I'll be good to go? I bought the part b/c I was also quoted around $650 but got a new one for $250.  But I'm a novice or slightly above with car so I worry it may not be as easy as a swap.  

41 minutes ago, natefrog2 said:

Does anybody know if you can just swap out the bluetooth module and I'll be good to go? I bought the part b/c I was also quoted around $650 but got a new one for $250.  But I'm a novice or slightly above with car so I worry it may not be as easy as a swap.  

search you tube took about 10 seconds for me to find this hope it helps you......Replacing Bluetooth module on Dodge Journey

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, 2late4u said:

search you tube took about 10 seconds for me to find this hope it helps you......Replacing Bluetooth module on Dodge Journey

I did find some videos and doesn't seem too too bad.  I always hate taking apart panels, etc in fear they may not go back together as well, but I bought the module and need to install it at some point.  Essentially looks like you take off the panel below the steering wheel, unscrew old module, plug cords into new one, attach new module, and attach panels back on.

My only (2) concerns are...

1. Will I jack up anything with the air bags when I remove the dash panel? I believe there is a knee air bag below the steering wheel.

2. I'd hate to swap out the bluetooth module and then find out I needed to install an update or anything.  My understanding is as long as the UCONNECT is up to date, which I should be able to check online, I should be fine.