2010 Journey FWD Transmission Shutter

RandyRiel

I have a front wheel drive 2010 Journey SXT, a couple of months ago,  we starting noticing when going up hill there was a shutter in the transmission and the engine would sound like its starting to knock. I checked all of the fluid levels and they were all okay, but we could only replicate the problem when we were going up hill and the engine rpm bogs down. but once the transmission shifts it stops doing it. Has anybody else had this issue and/or know of a possible fix for this?

Disclaimer - I know nothing about mechanics, other than what I have learned on this forum.

I have a friend who had this exact same problem with a Pontiac SUV.  It was his transmission that was fried, but that does not mean that it is not your engine in your situation.  As jkeaton said, better get that one checked out at the dealer.

I wish you luck, and please let us know what the outcome is.

mechanical-idiot

my daughter couple yrs ago called and said dad i think the transmission is going bad in my caravan she told me it was making a slight knocking noise and was jerking when trying to pick up speed while going down the road so i went out took it for a test drive and then lifted the hood and heard the noise she had 1 spark plug that had loosened up and that was all that was the problem so you never know what could be causing your problems....

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, ChrisPollard said:

Randy - did you ever find the cause?  Sounds a bit like what we have happening with our 2012 CVP.  Except there is no knocking noise ... just a jerk in the drivetrain when going up a hill in 4th gear.

change your plugs

Picking up new plugs tomorrow after work.  Might not get to actually touch them until Thursday though ... committee and board meetings won't give me time to let the block cool down, and I'm told changing plugs in a hot aluminum block can go badly.  Last time I changed plugs in a car was a good old cast iron block ... and it didn't much matter back then. :)

Yeah, I don't think it was 25 minutes ... that included spreading anti-seize on the threads and adding some di-electric grease to the electrical connections.  EASIEST plug job I've ever done, and I used to think the old 1960s inline sixes were da bomb for plug changes.  Upgraded the old plugs to platinums, took her for a drive, shuddering problem is gone.  I'm going to have to check my service records, but I'm suspecting these were the original plugs. 

Journey_Plug1.jpg

Journey_Plug2.jpg