Best Tire Deal I Could Find

Red Journey 2013

Wheel size is 19x7 and the oem tire was a Kumho 225/55 19. My local dealer quoted me $150 - $170 per tire for this size and about the same for a 235/55 19. Did some research and found Kumho Crugen in the 235/55 19 size for $317 for 4 tires delivered. These are new tires. This is supposed to be a bigger tire showing a speedometer speed 1.5 mph slower than actual, however I checked the speed using a gps speedometer app and both my car speedo and the phone were identical at all speeds Tires were mounted yesterday and the ride is better than those that were replaced.  http://bestusedtires.com sells both used and new tires and if you enter save15 in the promo code box at checkout, you will save another $30 (the $317 price was with the promo code applied). They also have used tires for less money in various stages of tread life and different brands. Tires were delivered in 3 business days.

seems like a great price and they have 4 left in that size ,only problem i see with this company is that all the tires weather new or used is they are sold as is and once mounted and drove off the lot there is no warranty on them at all and if you rec them and decide you dont want them for any reason you have to pay the return shipping on them. so that is a no go for me, but hope they work out for you..........

I was told that you have to be careful when you install used tires because if the thread on one of them is worn down more than 1/2 the original compared to the rest that it can screw up your ABS system.  

I was also told that if you need to replace a tire, make sure that you purchase 2 new ones for replacement -  if they are both worn down to about a third or so.  The reason being that it will throw off the ABS system having one new tire on the front and one worn to 1/3 of useful life left on the other side. (back as well)

I hope that I am making sense in my explanations.

Are the above statements true?

mechanical-idiot

i did use used tires on my 2011 journey never had a problem with the abs system i believe it is the awd that have a problem with different tire sizes and or low -high tread on the tires. we have a local place that sells used tires and he sells them at a great price and gives a 90 day warranty on any problems with the tires, but the above tire business sells them as is without warranty on them after you have them mounted.....

17 hours ago, mechanical-idiot said:

I was told that you have to be careful when you install used tires because if the thread on one of them is worn down more than 1/2 the original compared to the rest that it can screw up your ABS system.  

I was also told that if you need to replace a tire, make sure that you purchase 2 new ones for replacement -  if they are both worn down to about a third or so.  The reason being that it will throw off the ABS system having one new tire on the front and one worn to 1/3 of useful life left on the other side. (back as well)

I hope that I am making sense in my explanations.

Are the above statements true?

mechanical-idiot

No. It messes with the AWD system. not the ABS system.

• 3 months later...

Not sure who told you that tires different in tread wear will cause problems with awd or abs but that doesn't make sense. I had to get an emergency tire at walmart one sunday morning and they said I would have to buy a matched pair. I was in a hurry and I could see the guy I was dealing with wasn't too bright and the other tire had enough wear on it to justify replacing it too. But I did get scammed. So if someone selling tires tells you they need to be matched pairs, I can understand their motivation - thy like to use fear tactics to sell more - especially when it comes to cars. The trouble with this theory has to do with roads. Ever drive on a perfectly level road? Me either.  Makes sense that tires are on different levels most of the time which in turn makes tread depth between tires irrelevant. The difference between a new tire and one that is due to be replaced is only 1/4 inch - not enough to cause any problems with the drive train.

i dont have awd but my daughter is a rural mail carrier and with the jeeps if they have mismatched tires it CAN set off the warning buzzer .do what you want...we can only give suggestions..its not how level the road is it is one wheel on the same axle traveling at a different revolution  than the other tire. at ;east that is what was told to me by the jeep dealership.

The tire diameter on the Journey is approximately 36.75" (225mm * 2 + 19") - give or take a few hundredths of an inch.  If you have a brand new tire, and one that is worn to 50% of tread depth, the difference in diameter would be roughly .25" (4/32" *2 for total difference).  That equates to a total tread length of 115.45" for a new tire, and 114.56" for the 50% worn, for a difference of just under 1".

What does that mean in real terms?

The wheels will spin at different speeds.  The new tire will take 548.8 rotations per mile, while the worn tire will take 553.

For a new versus 50% worn tire, it looks like 4 extra rotations per mile for one tire versus the other.  AWD must be incredibly sensitive.

For those who would like to see the math:

225 55/r19 tire = 225mm sidewall height or 8.85827"

diameter of tire = 8.85827" *2 + 19" = 36.71654"

assuming new tire with full 10/32" tread diameter from top of tread to top of tread = 36.71654", total tread length = 115.3483" (36.71654 * 3.14159)

50% worn tire is 6/32" (leaving 2/32" as the discard tread depth, leaving 8/32" of usable tread). tire diameter is 36.46654" total tread length at 50% wear is 114.56"

Edited to check my own math.

Edited by bfurth

• 1 month later...