Brakes not working properly

Sharkster

Hey guys! New to the forum. I have a 2009 Journey SXT front wheel drive with the 3.5l that I recently acquired. I have been noticing that I have to push the brake pedal extra hard to stop. The pedal goes half way down, then the brakes work a bit. I really have to push harder to slow or stop. It feels like I only have half stopping power until I push really hard, then I can stop. By then, the pedal is just over half way down. I bled the brakes the correct way, but it didn't make a difference.

Does the abs need to be bled separately? Is my brake boost going bad? Do I need to replace all the brake hoses? I like to do my own work (have done so for over 35 years), but this Journey has me baffled on the braking situation. I replaced the right front brake hose when I got it, for it seemed to be collapsed. The caliper hung up and caused smoke and a lot of heat. 

Sorry so long winded, just want to fix her up the right way. This car has the best ride that I have had in a long time.

Many thanks guys!!!

4 minutes ago, larryl said:

The 09-12 had serious brake issues from collapsed lines to terrible(small) rotors and pads etc etc there is lots of reading on here if you have the time

Thanks Larry. I guess I will have to look through the forum. I like the car, but the brakes do kinda suck, lol.

On 2/28/2018 at 6:07 PM, OhareFred said:

Did you bleed the abs pump when you did each caliper ? If not you need to do that.  Gone are the days of just bleeding each caliper

I never had to do that before, so I don't know how. Any leads here to help me in that department? Thanks