Heartbroken

Resa

I'm sure this is an isolated situation but my new 2017 SXT is in the shop again! She won't start, dead battery if left overnight for more than 16 hours. 4th time in 2 months now. Dealer escalated to STAR and they replaced the radio and thought it was fixed...they had her all last week and today I overslept by 2 hours.  In just 2 hours it will no longer start.  Now looking into a Buy back option under the Lemon Law...so sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Although we love our Journey (despite a few problems since purchasing it 2 months ago - it is a 2012, so we expected that a few odds and ends would need repair) and totally love this site, I sometimes get scared to death when reading some of the posts here.  I pray to God that some of these problems do not happen to us!

It is great that people do mention them and others send in helpful information for fixes.  It is great to be able to help others. 

Despite the fact that we love the Journey, our fingers are crossed too!

mechanical-idiot

well just remember you hear from the upset or pissed off folks alot more than you do from thoes who are happy with their vehicle, the only problems i had with my 2011 was from the undersized brakes and rotors and  false reading from the transmission, then i got my 2014 crossroad and have been tickled pink until about 45k and had a  oil sensor  started giving a false high pressure reading and that was fixed under my max mopar warranty and they treated me quite good on that....

www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/lemon-law-used-cars-30107.html a few hurdles you have to jump thur before it can be taken processed being a lemon law case and of course it is proablly different in every state, give them time to try to fix it and keep all written paperwork and if they tell you something make them put it in writeing so you will have proof of what they have told you.....

Update ... my car is fine! Turns out it was just a bad combination of cold weather, dash cam, short trips, and poor mechanics that could not figure it out. Got a battery protector kill switch installed for the cam. So far so good! So thankful, I do <3 my baby and didn't want to have to replace it. 

1 hour ago, Resa said:

Update ... my car is fine! Turns out it was just a bad combination of cold weather, dash cam, short trips, and poor mechanics that could not figure it out. Got a battery protector kill switch installed for the cam. So far so good! So thankful, I do <3 my baby and didn't want to have to replace it. 

That's great news! Sorry you had to go through that though... I bet it gives you some piece of mind now knowing it wasn't the cars fault :-) 

5 hours ago, Resa said:

was the backup cam a mopar installed option or aftermarket unit? can't understand why a battery protector kill switch was installed by the dealership as i would believe  there are hundreds of thousands of journeys with back up cams that doesn't have this battery protector installed,. I hope this really does solve your problem and let us know as might be some help for other journey owners as well....

27 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

was the backup cam a mopar installed option or aftermarket unit? can't understand why a battery protector kill switch was installed by the dealership as i would believe  there are hundreds of thousands of journeys with back up cams that doesn't have this battery protector installed,. I hope this really does solve your problem and let us know as might be some help for other journey owners as well....

It wasn't a back up camera, it wash a dash cam that was constantly drawing power from the battery...

Whoever created a backup cam that constantly draws battery power should be shot.  The unit should have come with some type of switch or hookup to the ignition wiring.  I'm a mechanical and circuit idiot and even I know better than that!  I watched a youtube video the other day that showed how to check a battery for a parasitic draw.  Lady called GearHead Diva.  Not hard to look at and she knew her stuff.  It was a great video.  I think I searched for "how to use a multimeter" and she showed up in the search.

Glad you found the problem.  I hope it works well for you now.

Best of luck and enjoy your Journey.

mechanical-idiot

It has a parking mode but even with it "sleeping" and not even running the little screen it killed my battery...I think my biggest issue is that I work so close to home that it never gets a good charge. Still working fine.

11 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

How close do you work? If it even is running for a good 10-15 minutes it should be fine. The alternator charges the battery as it drives. 

X2.

Assuming your border line walking distance from work, 5 minutes of run time should make up for the draw it took to start your car and run all the equipment during your 5 minute commute. So living so close to work shouldn't have anything to do with a poor charge. Luckily the issue was diagnosed and fixed!

So I guess the moral of the story here is not the dash cam itself, but how it was installed. Out of curiosity, was the kill switch what was advised to you or your best band-aid to the problem? I would honestly want to get the dash cam rewired so it does not draw anything when the car is off since I am presuming the kill switch is manual. What if you forget to hit the kill switch? Or am I way off on what I am picturing? Maybe the dash cam has a motion sensor for security? Just curious because I am considering an aftermarket backup cam.

Backup camera, for the sake of backup only, usually gets installed on the backup light circuit.  That circuit is only ever live when the transmission is in reverse.

A dashboard camera, which is presumably intended to be on when the vehicle is on, should be tied to a circuit that is only ever live when the vehicle is in Accessory or Run.  Either the 12v port under the center stack or the 12v port inside the console (IF you switch the fuse to the correct position) fits that bill.