Towing capacity of a 2017 Dodge Journey

Madsiss Productions

Should be fine as long as you don't overload it. I think the tow rating has more to do with the uni body construction of the vehicle rather than the capabilities of the drive train. Could be wrong. I've heard of a few on here and other places that regularly tow more than the 2500# rating with no issues, but be aware, if something does happen and it can be proven it was due to towing more than the rated capacity, your warranty will be void. 

Well can it... yes, but should you, no.  What are we talking here, a camping trailer or utility trailer?  Regardless, towing overloaded puts a major strain on the transmission and driveline.  Also the brakes aren't designed to tow more than the 2500 lbs.  I know it isn't much difference, but towing isn't just about being able to tow, it's about stopping too. 

Edited by Steven Harshbarger

4 minutes ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

I see that now, and The second you load the trailer, your over the legal limit for towing unless your hauling feathers.

I would not be hauling very much weight.  Maybe one to two hundred pounds MAX.  I would be using the trailer more as a workstation for my multimedia company.  I produce videos and photos, and wanted to use the trailer to be able to do onsite editing for clients.  If it's not feasible or safe, I may just look into a used box truck or something else.   Thanks for your input.

18 minutes ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

I see that now, and The second you load the trailer, your over the legal limit for towing unless your hauling feathers.

The trailer weighs 890 lbs empty. With a 1510 lb capacity...hence the 2400# GVWR. That's under the 2500# limit. I don't know what you are seeing that you would say the second you load the trailer it would be over the limit.....

16 minutes ago, Madsiss Productions said:

I would not be hauling very much weight.  Maybe one to two hundred pounds MAX.  I would be using the trailer more as a workstation for my multimedia company.  I produce videos and photos, and wanted to use the trailer to be able to do onsite editing for clients.  If it's not feasible or safe, I may just look into a used box truck or something else.   Thanks for your input.

The Journey will tow that just fine as long as you have the 3.6L engine.