lemdog

clicking sound right after startup behind glove box area

Hi All,   (2011 R/T AWD)

It started yesterday when I started the car there was a clicking sound (for about 5-8 seconds) from what sounded like behind the glove box area.

"click click click click click click click"   Its loud enough to tell there is something there clicking.

my first thought was the venting system or something was out of gear....like when you change from dash to floor.... the mechanism gears are missing/skipping.

It does this every single time I start the vehicle.   no other times,  just right after startup.   I read somewhere it could be an actuator(?)

any ideas?

ok thanks,  yeah thats what i first thought of when i heard it,   some sort of gear grinding when something is stuck.

hard to replace or hard to get to to replace?     and what would i actually be looking for?     im sure google university can help perhaps.?

just following up for the benefit of others,

i ordered the actuator from amazon (half the price from what my auto parts retailer was selling it for) and replaced it last night.

its a finicky job,  i had to contort myself across the center console and put my head down to the passenger foot-well to get a proper angle on the 2 screws.

after determination, moving stuff around and scratched up hands,  i replaced the actuator motor and the problem has been fixed.

here is a link to the one i purchased for reference:

https://www.amazon.ca/Dorman-604-029-Air-Door-Actuator/dp/B00HRSP2A6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518548970&sr=8-1&keywords=2011+DODGE+JOURNEY+HVAC+HEATER+BLEND+DOOR+ACTUATOR&dpID=41bZSMp5cQL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch