Tick, tick, tick...

Journey//

I have a 2014 Journey Limited with 60,000 miles on it. I'm religious when it comes to maintenance, and change my oil every 3,000 miles. Up until recently I would have the dealership do it, but at $130 I started doing it myself. Based off the owners manual it says to use Pennzoil, I hate Pennzoil but that's what Chrysler recommends, andI use a Mopar brand oil filter. I've started to notice a constant ticking. Doesn't matter if the car is cold or at operating temperature it still ticks. I have no check engine light, oil is smack dab in the center of the "safe" area when hot. Is it the oil brand? Is this an ugly problem starting to bear its head? I thought about getting Mopar brand oil to see if that makes a difference, but I thought I would check here for recommendations.

$130.for an oil change they have been gouging  you. oil is oil as long as you use the right weight i use whatever is cheapest usually Castro oil as of what i last bought but i have always used full synthetic oil and the weight dodge recommends, I have 71 k on my 3.6 no noise and i change it at about 6k using mopar oil filters.might want to have the dealer take a look at it. good luck

Edited by 2late4u
spelling

47 minutes ago, Dusty256 said:

wow $130 for a  oil change !!!!  

cost me $23 to change it myself . 

synthetic blend . 

160,000 miles and no ticks and no  oil usage between changes . 4500 mile intervals 

i had heard yrs ago not to use syn blend ( i dont remember why)of course that was when syn became popular, my grandson just bought a KIA soul and they use syn blend also from the factory...

Yeah dealership in AZ is crazy expensive for a full synthetic oil change. We had just moved here and all my tools were in storage. I do it myself now, but I noticed the ticking before I started doing it. It's due for another one in 300 miles, so maybe I'll try a different brand that meets the Chrysler specifications. It needs to go in for the recall on the steering wheel, so I'll bring it up then. To my knowledge the 2014's have a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty correct? 

Vehicles up through 2015 have the 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.  2016 and later was shortened to 5 year/60,000 mile.

$130 for 3,000 mile change intervals? The 2014 has a 10,000 mile/1 year/whenever the warning message appears change interval.  3 months/3,000 miles is brutal overkill for these engines.

Any 5w-20 oil that meets Chrysler MS-6395 is fine to run in these vehicles.  I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in mine.  The oil change reminder clicks off like clock work in the last week of July.

On 2/11/2018 at 3:03 PM, 2late4u said:

i had heard yrs ago not to use syn blend ( i dont remember why)of course that was when syn became popular, my grandson just bought a KIA soul and they use syn blend also from the factory...

Synthetic blend is a marketing gimmick. You never know the ratio of synthetic to conventional....could be 1% synthetic to 99% conventional but then charge a premium price by having "synthetic" in the name.