clunking front driverside

kazper

Hey everyone, first post....I'm getting a rotating clunking noise from front driver side of my 13 sxt awd 3.6l. It is happening while driving straight and picks up the faster I go. It also gets worse while turning right. Thought it was wheel bearing due to hearing it speed up and slow down based on throttle, so pulled it apart and wheel bearing didn't seem bad, noticed a few things though. First was the outside of the tire was worn, second... after I got the bearing out I noticed the cv axle had "honed" a oval in the steering knuckle/spindle...I'm pretty sure the lower ball joint is bad, would that cause the cv joint to do that? Worried I need a knew axle but don't know how that would make outside of tire wear unless I have multiple issues going on. Sorry for the long post want to be as specific as possible....thanks in advance!!!

Cv boots aren't torn, axle seems to turn ok too...I got a new knuckle, ball joint and rotor coming tmrw, was thinking of just buying lower control arm too just to eliminate it from possibility....cv axle is $300 from dealership so gonna try everything else first, thanks for responding

Got the new steering knuckle today and where I thought the axle "honed" out on the old one is actually like that on new knuckle. Odd to me...but makes me nervous now that the axle is what's making the noise...it's definitely something that's turning, or the caliper...Idk about to put it all back together now I update afterwards

What a nightmare!! Never seen a worse design than these steering knuckles, no way to use a ball joint press on these!! I actually broke the lip off the outside of the moog ball joint trying to seat it...luckily they are gonna warranty the part, never seen a moog part break before...I'll keep updating