Rear wiper only working when in reverse! Solved.

So, the rear wiper quit working.  Then it started working when backing up!  So, I spoke to my Dodge maniac friend who said it was likely a wiring problem in the lift gate wiring harness.  He came over and pried the rubber cover off the wiring harness and their was a broken wire and another wire that was bare (break in outer cover) in the wiring harness.  Looks like there were lots of sparks in there because the wire covers were singed on several other wires.  He fixed the problem for me with some solder,  wire and shrink tube.  Cost me a couple of beers, which I consider a pretty cheap fix compared to the 70 dollar an hour charge at the dealer.

Thought I might let others know about this in case it is helpful to them.  You people likely know about this, but I couldn't find it in a search of the form.  Maybe I was not putting in the correct search criteria.

In any event, I hope this helps somebody else out.

mechanical-idiot.

2012 Journey

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone know what wire gages are used for the lift harness? My right tail light and now also right backup light went out and these wires are a likely culprit. Bulbs were good. Been a long time since I've done electrical car repairs. 2016 Dodge Journey SE.