Weird Clicking Noise when turning off [With Video]

bobman

Hi All!

I have a 2015 Dodge Journey 2.4L and I just noticed the weird clicking sound after turning off (it has been there for a while). Any idea what it is and if it is normal? It isn't a big deal but I want to know what it could and if it's normal (the clicking sound around 0:08 seconds mark). It only has about 10000 miles and still under warranty. See video link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqadvro4d16x433/Journey Noise at Shut Down.mov?dl=0

Appreciate your help!

Thanks!

Edited by bobman

cant hear a darn thing in your video, but journys tend to make some noise after shutting off heater doors resettling  and such dont worry about it, but if it bothers you run it by your dealership since you still have warranty...

5 hours ago, jkeaton said:

I can't get the video to open...where is the noise coming from? 

From the passenger side in engine bay :( it’s a clunky sound if you managed to open the video it’s around 8 second mark. It’s like 3-4 audible clicks after shutting off.

Edited by bobman

I don't even need to hear the audio - mine has done the same thing since day 1.  The variable cam shafts for the 2.4L are operated by hydraulic pressure using engine oil and it is powered by the oil pump.  When you shut off the engine, you will hear a few clicks as pressure dissipates and the cam returns to it's off position.

There is literally nothing to be worried about.

*This is, of course, assuming that the clicks are faint and sound like a spring being wound one turn too far.

Edited by bfurth

21 minutes ago, bfurth said:

I don't even need to hear the audio - mine has done the same thing since day 1.  The variable cam shafts for the 2.4L are operated by hydraulic pressure using engine oil and it is powered by the oil pump.  When you shut off the engine, you will hear a few clicks as pressure dissipates and the cam returns to it's off position.

There is literally nothing to be worried about.

*This is, of course, assuming that the clicks are faint and sound like a spring being wound one turn too far.

Possible but my friends Journey doesn’t make that clicking noise he showed me but his is 2009 2.4L so maybe different?

Mine makes that clicking, my mother's makes that clicking (both 2015 2.4).

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2008-current-dodge-avenger/347441-2013-avenger-shut-off-noise.html

It's the engine (specifically, the header and cam shaft) design.

The 2.4L World Gas Engine, from 2007 until basically now, hasn't really changed.  The engine block was designed across Chrysler, Mitsubishi, and Hyundai.  Each company then developed their own header.

I took mine in to the dealership 3 weeks after I bought it with the exact same complaint.  I was told it was normal behavior for that engine.  By then, the engine had been in production for 8 years, across 7 different Chrysler vehicles (Sebring, 200, Avenger, Caliber, Journey/Freemont, Compass, and Patriot).  I've had no issues with power (other than a lack thereof, which I knew about on day 1 - such is the life of a 7 passenger vehicle with a 2.4L 4 cylinder) or fuel economy, it consumes no oil, and it revs just as freely now as it did off the lot.

Edited by bfurth