Spark plug torque 09 3.5

brmurph

yeah I get it, I have replaced a lot of plugs on a lot of different vehicles and I believe I have a good feel (which is why the 20 ft lbs sounds like a lot, way past a good snug plug in my opinion).   I guess the aluminum head that makes me nervous (its the only one I have had trouble with in the past).  Having to take off the intake to get to them makes it a bit of a pain to do twice,  also getting particular in my old age :-).   I have seen calling the dealer for specs on other threads, I guess I am surprised they get an answer, also don't trust the dealer much.  LOL  If I do call the dealer who would you check with Parts or Service?

• 6 years later...
On 1/19/2018 at 10:37 AM, brmurph said:

Can anyone verify the spark plug torque for the 3.5 motor in the Journey's?  Alldata and chiltons both say 20 ft lbs but that seems like way too much for an aluminum head.   Anyone know for sure?

First of all, there is no Chilton's for an 09 awd 3.5L dodge journey, or any year journey, as far as I know. I was trying to do my head gasket for my 2010 journey last year. There is a Haynes repair manual for 05-2010 charger and magnum, however, which I found HB helpful because it's the same motor , other than they have their heads correctly/normally oriented for a v6. Dodge thought they'd be comical/hilarious/stupid funny, and do something different with their journey, which in my humble opinion was completely moronic! Same story with the in- the -bumper battery location. Are you f. kidding me?- nobody's gonna take their ride to the shop to have a f. battery replaced, unless they have to, which dodge almost succeeded in making us do. Instead, it's just in a stupid bad spot, so it requires not one, but 2 people to replace it, if necessary. Hope this helps, because as far as I looked into it, the actual servicing repair manual costs $600, and you need a computer to use it. Also f-ing moronic! Thanks Dodge, u jack-a$$e$! Hopefully Stellantis will do the company smarter than moronic. Time will tell.