Battery problems - hopefully a fix

Had my journey for almost a year now, and starting in december when temps got really low i began having battery issues.

Went on vacation and left vehicle parked for a week, this was in galveston, tx at about 60-70 degrees all week long.

came back and 100% dead, not single thing would turn on.

tried to jump start and it would begin to crank but couldnt ever turn over before dying. which partially has to do with crappy jumper cables.

so get home and drive it a bit and after about three days of sitting 100% dead again.

it seemed fine for a week or so then it got really cold and of course dead again, and went on and on until i replaced battery about two weeks ago,

every time you jump start you have to keep the other vehicle at high rpm for maximum output, which ive never had to do with other vehicles including big v8s.

so after reading many post on here past and present and looking over my own vehicle, ive come to the conclusion that there is obviously a problem.

given the batteries location and the under hood terminals (a break in the wire) i have determined in my opinion that all the battery/ground/alternator wires are just too small to pass the proper current for  charging the battery or receiving a jump start.

so what i did along with a new battery was add new terminals with 2 guage ports and i did the "big 3" wiring upgrade.

i did 2 gauge from both battery terminals while also reusing the existing wires, to the under hood terminals.

then i did 2 guage wires from under hood terminals to the alternator (positive to alternator output, and negative to alternator casing mounting bolt)

i did not do any extra wire from battery to chasis as that is technically done at the under hood terminal. i may later add another 2 guage wire going to engine block.

for the moment everything is working great and starts in the coldest temperatures now, no matter how long it sits there.

i highly recommend all journey owners do this.

also today i had a stranger ask for a jump start, get to his vehicle and find out its a dodge journey doing exactly what mine was doing.

i was like i feel you, i know just how to take care of this lol

will also be investing in some better cables for future. looking at 1 guage cables with quality ends

Edited by tjboston5676

the wires given the distance and some breaks in the line are a bit on the smaller side, yes.

and i wouldnt know if the car had the same problems in previous years, but its apparently a common problem brought up in the forum almost daily during the winter.

something is not right, if this many people have the same issues.

it may not be the wires, i wont know for awhile. i should of taken voltage reading before and after at the battery but i didnt.

either way this will definitely  help the vehicle.

Only issue I’ve had is replacing the battery after 4 years.  Never had a no start.  I haven’t changed a wire yet, or fuse for that matter.  I think part of the problem is batteries just don’t last like they used to because of all the electronics and constant drain on the system, not so much because of the wires .

that being said, I’m glad you found a solution to your problem.  Nothing more frustrating then getting in your car to go somewhere and end up being stuck!