2009 Dodge Journey Engine Fail - Cylinder No Compression, Rattle Below Cylinder Head

DavidT

Yesterday on my way to church, my 2009 Dodge Journey engine started rattling, engine light came on, and died in the street. I had it towed and the mechanic told me that cylinder 4 has no compression and there is a rattle below the cylinder head. I was informed that I need a new engine now. I called Dodge and they told me there is nothing they can do because I'm outside of the warranty window. I NEED HELP!

Well, if the engine is toast, then you need a new engine. Nothing we can do here to help with that. How many miles are on it? Did you run it out of oil or coolant? Did they say what caused it? You are definitely outside your warranty period. Either get a replacement engine, rebuild the one you have (if possible) or sell it for scrap and buy another car. 

Engine replacement, probably about $3000-$3500 if you buy used. If it is a rattle you may get away with getting the rods fixed/replaced (if there is no further damage). I would find out why they say you need a new engine...is it because they don't want to try to fix it, or because you can't fix the problem. Engine shop should be able to give you more information and tell you if it is repairable.

How many miles are on the vehicle? How is the condition of the rest of it? This would determine your next step, junk or repair.