Are oil caps often stolen?

Noob

Maybe this is a weird question, but are oil caps highly thefted items? I noticed a burning smell, and when I checked under the hood, the cap was gone. Now, we've been to 4 shops looking for one. One guy sold me the wrong one, and when I told him it didn't fit, he came out and tried it himself. Then he grabbed some tools and went poking around in there because he thought the cap may have broken off. Maybe these caps are hard to find, and someone stole ours!

That would be the first time I've ever heard of that.  It's a piece of injection molded plastic - not exactly something that screams "high value."

Find a better lube shop - they forgot to put the cap back on.

Also - take the time to clean (not with water, but careful use of solvents) the valve cover, exhaust manifold, head, and block of all that burned oil.  If you develop a leak later on, it will make things easier to find.  Even better, if you last had your oil changed recently, go back to the shop that did it and ask them to clean it.

And remember - any time you have someone else do work on your car, verify parts are in place before and after the work is completed!