Alternator replacement 2012 6 cyl

My wife's 2012 died last night. She said the idiot light was on earlier, but she ignored it (Yes, there's a reason they call the lights that, lol). She jump started it and got it to start and run briefly. The battery is at least 3 years old, so that's due anyway. If that doesn't fix it I will do the alternator next. How bad is the alternator to change? Do I need any special tools? I tried looking on the internet, but I wasn't able to find much info. Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks,

Matt  

first off change the battery then take it to your local parts store(auto shack,orilleys,advance auto) let them do a check of your charging system to see what their equipment finds then go from there. good luck  i changed mine out a few months ago best price on batteries i found was at sams but ended up getting a little better deal at batteries plus

2 hours ago, machm1970 said:

My wife's 2012 died last night. She said the idiot light was on earlier, but she ignored it (Yes, there's a reason they call the lights that, lol). She jump started it and got it to start and run briefly. The battery is at least 3 years old, so that's due anyway. If that doesn't fix it I will do the alternator next. How bad is the alternator to change? Do I need any special tools? I tried looking on the internet, but I wasn't able to find much info. Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks,

Matt  

Depending on what engine you have, the alternator replacement can be easy or challenging. I suggest you take a look at it and see if it is something you can do yourself. You only need basic tools. 

I have the 3.6 6 cylinder. I guess I was hoping someone on here might've done this recently and could provide some insight on what all I have to remove to get at it. I'm pretty mechanical, but I could always use some advice, shortcuts, special tools required or pitfalls.  Looking online there isn't very much repair info on Journeys, especially considering how many are out there. I guess if I figure it out I will post info to help others. 

Matt  

9 minutes ago, machm1970 said:

I have the 3.6 6 cylinder. I guess I was hoping someone on here might've done this recently and could provide some insight on what all I have to remove to get at it. I'm pretty mechanical, but I could always use some advice, shortcuts, special tools required or pitfalls.  Looking online there isn't very much repair info on Journeys, especially considering how many are out there. I guess if I figure it out I will post info to help others. 

Matt  

look at where the alt is on the 3.6,,,, i was changing my oil this morning and i took a gander for it hell you cant even see it from the top ,dont look i would even want to try to get to it....

14 hours ago, machm1970 said:

Matt  

One of those things you just have to dig into and figure it out. Make a DIY for it. You will be the first.  

The alternator is a pain on the 3.6 .If you take the top approach you need to disconnect some heater hose lines I believe so drain the rad etc.

There isn't much in the Journey alternator online I could find when ours died but I did find a youtube video of a pretty smart mechanic who shows an alternate method on a Caravan with the 3.6

On 1/10/2018 at 8:23 AM, 2late4u said:

first off change the battery then take it to your local parts store(auto shack,orilleys,advance auto) let them do a check of your charging system to see what their equipment finds then go from there. good luck  i changed mine out a few months ago best price on batteries i found was at sams but ended up getting a little better deal at batteries plus

Agree with 2late4u. I would not look for the best deal on a battery...I would look for a good battery. Interstate is great for these cars. Hopefully it is not your alternator, but if it is a video would be great.