sneaky leak

JennyA

Ok you were all so helpful last time so I am back. I have something else leaking now think is also coolant. It is not a lot but still I would like my fluids to remain inside where they belong. This one is right behind the bumper, (2) little metal lines going into a bracket on the back of the radiator  . I'm not sure what they are or what they are for but something is running down the inside of my bumper. Not sure what I should do it only seems to be leaking when I guess it is running.I put a wrench on the nuts beside the little lines and one I was able to turn ever so slightly the other nothing at all. I let it set a while saw nothing leaking. So I let it idle in the garage a while still no leak so I went and drove around for about 30 minutes and came home still saw nothing leaking so I went to bed and when I got up as soon as I walked out there was a noticeable spot again. I keep a spare jug of coolant since the last problem with the y in the heater hose busting and I checked it, it too is somewhat oily so I think that is what is leaking, but I'm not sure what would cause it or what needs to be done. The lines are on the passenger side near the back of the headlight going into a metal bracket with 2 nuts or bolts. kind of in front of the reservoir right below the big top radiator hose. So any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for my ignorance, I am learning as I go here. 

Tough to try to pin down the leak exactly without looking at it, but after you drive it and let it sit for maybe five to ten minutes, go under the hood and see if you can hear a little whistling noise...like stream escaping. Try to be in a quiet location like a closed garage. Otherwise start at the top and work your way down. Check any caps to make sure they are right and the rubber is still in good condition. If you had trouble with that 'Y' hose, maybe get it replaced.

Sorry, but little leaks are a little tough to diagnose without visually looking.

well since you have a garage to get it out of the weather take it for a good ride then after putting it in the garage try taping a small sheet of clear plastic under where you think the leak might be and try to get it level so you can catch some of the fluid before it soaks into the concrete floor, should be able to determine if it is anti freeze or trans oil then next nite try cleaning off everything where it might be leaking and tape some white Kleenex around each tube and or connection to pinpoint where the leak is. good luck let us know what you find...    plus after you shut the engine off the pressure and or heat on the coolant builds up more as it isn't being circulated as when the engine is running...

Edited by 2late4u