Help - Sunroof Initialization/Memory Issues

I have a 2014 Journey Limited (purchased last month), where the sunroof does not seem to retain its memory. So far, for the past two days, I have had to re-initialize the sunroof to get it to function again, including venting.  Now, I am not sure if this is a matter of me not having the complete/full initialization process, or if a fuse has gone bad (can't find any reference in the owner's manual).

What I have done is test the open and vent buttons (the rear two on the panel), and verify if they are working or not.  If not working, I will press and hold the close button until the sunroof goes into Vent mode.  From there, I will press and hold the close button again until it has fully cycled (full open, to full close, back to vent), and will continue to repeat this procedure until the close button no longer does this (and the other two buttons work).  Once that is done, the sunroof will operate correctly until the vehicle has been completely turned off (ignition off, touchscreen off, dash illumination off).

Does anyone know what is responsible for the sunroof's memory?

Edited by Mark R. Monaco

1 hour ago, jkeaton said:

Didn't even know sunroofs had memory.....

Its only the conclusion that I can come up with.  I just know that Dodge vehicles have initialization procedures for their sunroofs, and is sometimes needed after the battery has been disconnected. Just don't know what maintains the sunroof's status so that you do not have redo the learn/initialization procedure every single time the vehicle has been completely turned off.

Edited by Mark R. Monaco

I have a sunroof in my 09.  Never had to do anything other then hit the switch, even after the battery was replaced.  What memory are you referring to?  If I hit vent, it opens to the vent position, same with open and close.  Is yours doing something different?  Not being a smart ass, just really dont know what you are referring to....

@OhareFred, just trying to get an understanding what would cause my issue or the need to go through the learn procedure for the sunroof multiple times. I've only had the vehicle for just under a month, and not fully familiar with everything to say what is exactly at fault.

As mentioned in the OP, the sunroof forgets how to work properly everytime i turn off the ignition and leave the vehicle (fully off). From there, the next time i get into the vehicle none of the buttons work with the exception of Close. Holding that button down twice starts the initializion/learn procedure. After that, the sunroof will function correctly until the next power off.

Thank you for the explanation.

that being said, I wonder if there is a module for the sunroof like there is for the windows.  Obviously something is losing its memory when the power shuts off.  If you shut off the car and restart it right away does it not work, or does the car need to be off for awhile?

this might be one for the dealer....

Edited by OhareFred

@OhareFred, I was thinking along the same train of thought about the memory issue and a possible module. As for the question about it working if I start it right away, I want to say that it does work in that instance, but would have to test again.  I know for a fact that it does not work if ts been off for a while, or if you wait for the car to turn completely off (dash and info panel are off, etc).

I'm pushing for the dealer (non-Dodge) to fix it since it was not resolved when I last brought it back in (especially as I am still in the 30-day period). All they did the last time was initialize it.

Spoke with the dealer just now, and was advised that they did find a fault in the sunroof module.  Apparently, its part of the motor assembly, and not a part that can be individually replaced.  Thankfully, its being covered under the 30-day policy, and does not require a warranty deductible.  

Once they receive the part and install it (later this week), I'll update the thread.