23k Mile review

lmoore1436

So I've now had my Journey for a year and have put 23k on it. Things have been pretty stable since I've bought it, but there are a few gripes... Definitely nothing major but they are definitely worth mentioning, and I'll be going in soon for my 4th oil change soon so I'm going to mention them to the dealer as well. 

Exterior: Everything has held up great. I mostly credit this to how far away I park in parking lots (Here in the northern virginia/DC area people are careless with their doors). No scuffed rims, no rock chips either which is surprising because I mostly drive on highways where the speed limit is 70. Trim is still where it should be, nothing loose or needs adjusting. Looks just as good as the day I bought it (when it's washed which isn't as often as I'd like it to be. 

Interior: Interior is holding up, I own a business and regularly transport cardboard boxes full of materials a few times a month. That being said the plastic in the back does get a little banged up but that is part of the reason why I bought it, so no surprise there and it would happen to any other SUV as well. I have noticed a few more noises/creaks when going over bumps. It is getting colder though so I can imagine the compression of cold air plays a role in that. The major interior gripe I have at this point is the passenger seat, the center console and the door trim. The passenger seat issue is more of a design issue than something that needs to be fixed. I sat in the passenger seat for the first time two weeks ago and it is not very comfortable. I'm not entirely sure how to describe it but the seating position is not height adjustable, and unless I put the passenger seat all they way back my knees come into contact with the dash. I'm sure it's a mixture of my height and the design (the dash slopes towards the passenger as it descends). The center console creaks, which wouldn't bother normal people, and honestly it doesn't bother me until someone else gets in the car and puts their elbows all over it and it makes noise. Also the passenger door trim makes noise when it's being closed. It creaks (much like the console) when someone is closing the door. These are very VERY minor things that shouldn't really bother people but I'm a bit of an oddball and have sonar dishes for ears. 

Performance: Engine is great still... Starts up right away, though the whine/hum noise it makes for a few seconds is kind of loud, but nothing is wrong at all, it's done that since the day I bought it and other FCA products make the same noise. My main issue is with the transmission. It doesn't do anything that shows signs of wearing, but it does act like a 5 year old who's been at the mall too long. It's always either tired or overactive and ready to go. Occasionally when I set the cruise control it likes to stay in 5th gear, but it shifts to 6th when I hit the + button on the steering wheel. Then, sometimes when I am braking it will shift into a gear lower than it should a bit too quickly and I can feel a jolt. It also hasn't learned my driving habits... at all really. At my next oil change I may ask if they can reset the transmission or something to see if that will fix some of these annoyances. Also, when driving it likes to shift into 3rd gear way before the engine is ready, there is a significant amount of power loss at this point. Honestly I feel like this transmission is the worst aspect of the vehicle, but again these are not issues with the vehicle, but annoyances. Every vehicle has aspects that don't exactly perform flawlessly and the DJ is no exception, but for the price I am not in the least bit upset. 

Comfort: It is very comfortable... and quiet. Especially compared to the Honda that I used to own this sounds like a Lexus inside. You can have a full conversation with someone in the back seat without yelling. The sound system is great as well, going 70mph I usually only have it on the 12 sound level... I am not too sure how high it goes (maybe 40?) but that is plenty high for me to hear. With plenty of 12 hour drives under my belt I can also say that the drivers seat is the most comfortable sea I have ever sat in for the long haul. There are tons of adjustments and if you feel a slight ache in your back the heated seat works it right out. I have a crossroad and the sport mesh inserts are also holding up really well considering how much use they've gotten already. The ride is still smooth, though the bigger wheels on the crossroad aren't as smooth and quiet as the SXT, they do help with handling in corners and emergency maneuvers. 

Problems: THE DEALERS SUCK. They broke a lug nut off on my first oil change visit and tried to blame it on me. I'm sure I have vented about it somewhere on here but it still was a definite pain. They came out, and I thought they were going to tell me my car was ready so I packed up to leave (after a 2 hour wait). He asked when I changed the tire on my car and I said "never, the car is only 3 months old, it has the factory tires". He proceeded to say it looked like someone had broken off the lug (the long windy thing that holds the tire on), but I found out when I left the service log says that they broke it off when removing the tires to check the brakes. Maybe they updated it before I left, or found out that it was their fault and corrected the log but I'll never know. They had one machined back on though, so other than another 45 minutes or so no damage was done. The front suspension creaks over speed bumps, and is becoming more present during regular driving. It used to only creak over speed bumps, but now uneven pavement, expansions joints, etc. make it creak as well. This will be addressed at my next visit as well. 

Positives: It's just a great car. I know I mentioned a few annoyances but I have never owned a car without one. It's a pleasure to drive and for the money I think this is the best deal anyone can find. It may not have all that fancy-schmancy driving tech like ACC or blind spot monitoring but I know how to drive, set my mirrors and check my blind spots before changing lanes. It looks great, and all the small features like storage compartments (the backseat floor coolers are great for stashing beers for tailgating at concerts) and the bright LED interior lights make everything so much easier for day to day use. The price was awesome, and the lifetime warranty coverage was the biggest reason I chose this over any other car. I hope I never have to use it but knowing that I can take it in at any dealer and get everything fixed keeps me at ease. 

Hopefully y'all don't think I sounded like I was complaining too much. Re-reading I noticed there are a few complaints, but they aren't really complaints as much as small things I notice once in a while. They are just drops in a bucket compared to how much I actually enjoy my DJ. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great write-up with a lot of information that I think does NOT come to anyone's surprise. A lot of the annoyances you described are things I notice as well on my 2015. The interior creaks on mine did go away after a nice detail job (or I was too distracted by the shine). The creaks over the bumps are a little frustrating, but apparently pretty common. I think these cars are a great deal for the money. I've had mine for about a year and half, and I still feel pretty lucky to have found it.

Thanks for taking the time.