Rustproofing Question

Tony Melingas

Hey all. I have a 2016 SXT. And its coming up on its second winter. I didn't get the factory rust proofing, I guess just the standard application it comes with. And I haven't gotten it done since I bought the car. So I was wondering what the consensus is, should I get it done this year? or do you think I am good for one more year, and then do it next year?

For what it's worth, I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

by the way sorry of this is in the wrong spot.

If you keep wax on it, and keep the salt off the vehicle during winter, I don't see why you would need it.  Now Pa has winters but I'm guessing not like you have in Ontario.  I hit the car wash local to me that has the under carriage spray about once a week during bad weather conditions.  But.. If your overly concerned, I would have it done sooner than later if your planning on keeping this vehicle for an extended period.  Generally I keep a vehicle 3-5 years so doing stuff like under coating only helps the next owner.

Well, there is no 'factory rust roofing' beyond whatever standard treatment they may do.  Dealers might offer something, but to do it right requires some expertise.

While a coat of wax provides protection for the paint, what suffers during the winter are the inside body panels and the underbody.  Those require a proper water displacement spray job that is done my opening access holes and coating the surfaces with the protectant.  Unfortunately on the DJ you can't spray the inner surfaces of the rear quarter panels because they are aced with insulation - though those panels seem to survive well enough for the 8 or so years the DJ has been on the road - you don't see rusty DJs out there.

BUT, that doesn't mean that you can't benefit from rustproofing your vehicle. Here in Quebec we have Metropolitan Rustproofing and Krown as the big players.

You would rustproof your vehicle to prevent underbody corrosion and to provide protection for exposed elements of the electrical system.  Rustproofing also provides ome vibration dampening, reducing rattles that may develop to some degree.

However the best time to apply rustproofing is sooner, then if you wish to skip a year or two at least you have the residual protection in place, as oposed to letting 2 or 3 years of corrosion develop, only to cover it in the oil or whatever protectant your company of choice uses.  Don't bother with a simple oil spray - they need to get into those panels to cover the weld points, were water will settle and seep through pinholes in the paint.

My 13 year old LHS looked darn good when it finally died and it was treated in the worst possible way;  driven from a damp, warm garage at home through salty snow and slush to a damp, warm garage at work and then back home at night - ideal rusting conditions.  And the only part of the vehicle that developed any rust at all was at the leading left edge of the roof, above the pillar where water apparently collects and where they don't/can't apply the protectant.

So I suggest getting it done now and not waiting;  it costs about $100 to do it right.

"Actually  we did oil spray in these areas lower door sills and and in the "B" post both filled with insulation. Drilled assess holes and loaded the cavity and insulation with oil. If nothing else oil is surrounding the outside of the insulation and quarter panels inner channels now.  The rear quarter panels also have an oil spray access hole at the rear of the back door openings plus the rear tail light lenses were removed and a access hole drilled in those areas  and sprayed with oil. and sealed with a plug. Just from experience and oil spraying my cars  the last 35 years...get a reputable place to spray (the dripping) oil spray and it will run all over in all welds and small tight spots. I ask for dripless under the hood and trunk only.  I only spray my cars every two years  for about $130 a pop, those other treatments, never heard of them costing $100, but not the first time I have been wrong ? You pay lump sum upfront then and annual touchup & inspection fee.. My 10 -12 year old cars also were basically rust free. Oil spray is a little messy yes, park it on the road for a good week or so not on your paved driveway, as excess oil runs out. Then wash off the residual drips on the bottom of the doors, door jambs and bottom sills etc... If it is dripping out you know it is running coating everywhere LOL. Both types of protection probably have pros and cons I guess.

• 4 months later...

100 bucks a year is cheaper than a body job or a car payment every month.  We do our vehicle every September when it is warm.  That stuff creeps better when it is warm.  We use Krown or Rust Check.

Our last vehicle was 16 years old and had very little rust.  I feel that it is well worth it.  Yes, it is a bit messy, but you gotta take the bad with the good sometimes.

I live in Eastern Canada, so we have lots of salt on the roads.  I wish they would stop putting it on the roads, but I realize why they do it.

mechanical-idiot