Cruise Control Button On/Off not working - "Love-Tap Fix"

NavalLacrosse

This will be the dumbest troubleshooting post ever, just forewarning.

I like to through the term 'Love Tap' around... It's really a fix-all for all accessories affiliated with Dodge, at least for my Journey and my previous 04 Caravan.

Ever since having to do this three times during august, I've not had to do it since. For what it;s worth, i'll write a post about it! :

So I've had my 2011 Crew for a few months, and I notice that every so often the cruise control button wont turn on the cruise control. It's only occasionally doing it. I suspect it is loose wire, vibration, and temperature related (I like the AC vents to blow on my hands during the summer). Regardless of the cause of the problem, I was able to temporally 'fix it with a band-aid'...

For people having similar issues, try the following advanced troubleshooting procedure:

----------------------------

1) Try a swift-yet-solid right handed palm 'slap' at the 3 o'clock, from the outside of the rim towards the center while holding wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. (Not too much force, but just enough to make the wheel go 'ka-jug'.)

2) Normally push the cruise control on-off button. If cruise does not return to full functionality, repeat the troubleshooting procedures while applying slightly more force during step 1.

3) Explain to your passenger, that you're not attempting to crash the car, and are merely preforming the FCA standard operating procedure for initializing the cruise controls.

---------------------------

If it doesn't work, obviously there's something else wrong... good luck

Edited by NavalLacrosse

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

2013 dodge journey cruise control switch not working for the off and on.  The other 3 buttons are communicating according to my scanner.  The off and on button says communication error but after the scanner scans this issue the cruise button starts working.  Then after a couple days it stops.  Very unusual.  Going to replace the buttons to see if that corrects it.