New Journey owner - not thrilled

Alan Harris

Hey all. Just bought a 2009 Journey SXT with 140,000 miles on. I have had it for less than 10 days, and have had two major problems already.

Did I make a HUGE mistake?

I hope some other owners here are able to help us through this trying time.

Thanks all!

Well, you bought a 8-9 year old car ( I got my 09 in July of 08) with 140k on it.  What maintenance records did you see?  Was the proper work done or was it driven into the ground?  When you buy a used car, you roll the dice.  I understand not everyone can afford a new car, and there is nothing wrong with buying used, BUT you have to do your homework.

To buy a used car with high miles and not expect issues is just being naive.

That being said, exactly what problems are you having??

Edited by OhareFred

Sorry to hear that you're having problems... for an 8 year old vehicle to have 140,000 miles on it, it had to be driven WAY over the normal 12,000 average miles per year. My guess is that it was a rental car, which almost definitely means it was put through some tough drivers. You didn't mention what problems you were having, or where you bought it from. 

Damn, you all realize that 'major' to him might have a completely different meaning to me and you. Since he left everyone in the dark of what the issues are (as you all put the car down), I can only assume they aren't that huge or I would guess he would want answers right away. Hopefully he will expand on these 'major' problems at some point. Or maybe he already found a resolution browsing through the forum...at least he found the forum :thumbsup:

Well in 2017 I wouldnt buy a 2009 Journey if it had 50000 miles on it they had issues..lots of them 

Especially when there are lots of 2013 and newer models which are far superior and had gotten rid of many of the well documented annoyances of the previous years except the NAV:cool:

2 hours ago, Armando G said:

Damn, you all realize that 'major' to him might have a completely different meaning to me and you. Since he left everyone in the dark of what the issues are (as you all put the car down), I can only assume they aren't that huge or I would guess he would want answers right away. Hopefully he will expand on these 'major' problems at some point. Or maybe he already found a resolution browsing through the forum...at least he found the forum :thumbsup:

Please explain to me how I put the car down?  I have the same year.  All I said was the truth.

On 10/9/2017 at 5:03 PM, OhareFred said:

Please explain to me how I put the car down?  I have the same year.  All I said was the truth.

Here let me correct that statement...Since he left everyone in the dark of what the issues are (as you all, except OhareFred, put the car down)...the focus was supposed to be on how vague the post was, not really the ensuing comments.

12 hours ago, Armando G said:

Here let me correct that statement...Since he left everyone in the dark of what the issues are (as you all, except OhareFred, put the car down)...the focus was supposed to be on how vague the post was, not really the ensuing comments.

explain to me how i put the car down. he left no comment to his problems except with the yr and how many miles it has on it, and how long he has had it 10 days and then ask have i made a bad mistake. i answered yes he might have. not knowing anything else about it i think my answer was possible correct to his question under the conditions he gave us. so cut us some slack I would say most of us that have replied to this post love our Journeys and a couple of us have purchased 2 of them that we like them so much.

14 hours ago, Armando G said:

I did not "put the car down". I simply concurred with everyone that buying a used vehicle, any used vehicle, with high mileage is a crap shoot. I had an 09. Loved it. The main reason why we got another one. I don't see anything Fred or anyone else said that could be construed as "putting the car down". Only stating the obvious that the 09's had their share of issues from the get go. That can be expected for any new model.