Oil Filter Problems

Not sure is this is the right spot, but II have a dellema. I got an oil change at the required intervals. And it was due for my next one. So I go to Oil changers and they changed the oil but not the filter. Turns out the last guys that did the change over tightened the filter cap. So when they went to change that, it was too tight to move. They tried a few different things but the thing would not budge. And in the process, they rounded the top nut. So I went to the original place and they said that they could not take responsibility for it because the nut was rounded. Even though they were the ones that over tightened it in the first place. So I took it Dodge and they said that if it cracks it will cost me close to 600 to repair. Any suggestions on what I can do. I really can't afford 600 right now. Need some advice .

Shot in the dark here (no promises it will work or not cause additional problems, and as my signature line states - if you break it, it's your fault):

Get an air duster can (the kind used for cleaning electronics).  Also get a new oil filter cap - the original is already shot, and it might get worse as a result of this.  Get the engine up to operating temperature (oil should be at 190+).  Wear a pair of decent gloves.  Flip the air duster over and spray the freezing cold liquid ONLY on the filter cap.  Attempt to remove the cap.  If it works, GREAT!

If it doesn't work, well, you were out $600 anyway!

this brings up the question of how tight to tighten the oil cap? i always hand tighten to start with then i use a socket that matches the nut and tighten it up till it's tight and then i bump it a little bit.as i have no torque wrench that would work on this low of torque. havent had no problems yet doing it this way. since it uses an o ring, it shouldn't need to be over tightened....

16 hours ago, 2late4u said:

this brings up the question of how tight to tighten the oil cap? i always hand tighten to start with then i use a socket that matches the nut and tighten it up till it's tight and then i bump it a little bit.as i have no torque wrench that would work on this low of torque. havent had no problems yet doing it this way. since it uses an o ring, it shouldn't need to be over tightened....

My only experience with the drop-in filters was with GM EcoTec engines (my DJ is a 2.4).  I always threaded it and tightened with a 3/8" wrench and stopped at "tight enough."  No cranking on it ever.

For those of you who have a torque wrench, the proper spec is 18 Ft.Lbs.  So, really, don't crank on it.  That level is only ever so slightly beyond finger tight.

my daughter used to go to walmart or the havoline quick change places and comes to me saying they say the last guy stripped the oil pan plug what do i do now, so i got it fixed and told her to quit going to them places as they always cause you problems about like the tire guys that start the lug nuts with their air tool and cross threading them.... ugg