Anyone try HID's yet?

04redmach1

I could not see a thing with the stock lights either.

Check it out: http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=924

I picked up my new 2010 Journey last week and this weekend installed new Silverstar Ultra bulbs for both hi and low. Amazing difference. Nice crisp white light being thrown much further and wider than the factory bulbs.

Ya, not impressed with stock headlight bulbs at all. I like the HID thread and tutorial!

As for the Silverstar Ultra bulbs, are they say 50% better than stock? It sounds like they are A LOT better from your post and may just do that instead of HID's. Save that money you know, may upgrade fog lights too.

Ya, not impressed with stock headlight bulbs at all. I like the HID thread and tutorial!

As for the Silverstar Ultra bulbs, are they say 50% better than stock? It sounds like they are A LOT better from your post and may just do that instead of HID's. Save that money you know, may upgrade fog lights too.

I have used silverstars in my wife's car, and they are sweet, but the cost is up there. If I remember right, it is like $50.00 a set. If you drive a lot at night, they will only last a year. Depending where you buy HIDs, they will cost the same as silverstars and last the life of the car. In the long run, it is worth it....

I have used silverstars in my wife's car, and they are sweet, but the cost is up there. If I remember right, it is like $50.00 a set. If you drive a lot at night, they will only last a year. Depending where you buy HIDs, they will cost the same as silverstars and last the life of the car. In the long run, it is worth it....

Real HID's cost close to 800.00. What you're referring to is the Tuner Car XENON bulbs and yes they cost about the same as Sylvania bulbs but the filaments are very thin compared to the Silverstar's. I've had Silverstar (ST bulbs) for many years in both of Ram pickups and really liked them. Now I have the Silverstar Ultra's (SU bulbs) in the Journey and they are 'even nicer'. I honestly believe they are the closest look to HID's that you will see at a fraction of the cost. Sure HID's are incredible but the cost just doesn't make sense. I've tried the XENON knock off's and they aren't worth the aggravation. They just don't last. I live in Canada and I just bought my Silverstar Ultra's for 48.00/pair both 9005 and 9006. Parts Source has them at 15 percent off until early December.

If you cannot find the Ultra's (SU Series) then the (ST series) are very close in appearance. I would have to say the light is thrown close to 40-50 percent further but the most impressive thing is the 'white light'. It makes for much better visibility.

*Note* Passenger bulbs are easy to access, changing the drivers side bulb is a real challenge. You have to do this.

1) Pry up the screw holding the air intake to the front cross bar. Then pry out the plastic plug that that screw came out of.

2) Remove the 4 inch diameter flex air coupling from the filter box only.

3) Remove the smaller 1 inch hose from the filter box only

4) Pry up on the air intake to get it free from the air clean housing

5) Move your air cleaner housing out of the way

6) At the back of your Power Distribution Box there is a white clip. Carefully pop it backward toward the firewall. *It is hinged* *NOTE* MAKE A NOTE WHAT YOU DID TO UN-HINGE THIS CLIP.

7) Squeeze the rear 2 tabs inward and lift up on the back of the distribution box

8) Squeeze the front 2 tabs inward and lift the entire box back toward the firewall.

9) Remove the hi and low beams being 'very careful not to touch the lens on the bulbs) If you've had your car undercoated or oil sprayed make sure you get any wiring conduit out the way before you install your new bulbs.

*Note: don't panic if your new Journey won't start after this! Yes it happened to me. Make sure you when you place the Power Distribution Box back onto the 4 clips that you snap that white clip mentioned above properly back into place. Then you won't have a fit like I did thinking oh oh...only 600km on my new Journey and I fudged it!

Good luck.

Real HID's cost close to 800.00. What you're referring to is the Tuner Car XENON bulbs and yes they cost about the same as Sylvania bulbs but the filaments are very thin compared to the Silverstar's. I've had Silverstar (ST bulbs) for many years in both of Ram pickups and really liked them. Now I have the Silverstar Ultra's (SU bulbs) in the Journey and they are 'even nicer'. I honestly believe they are the closest look to HID's that you will see at a fraction of the cost. Sure HID's are incredible but the cost just doesn't make sense. I've tried the XENON knock off's and they aren't worth the aggravation. They just don't last. I live in Canada and I just bought my Silverstar Ultra's for 48.00/pair both 9005 and 9006. Parts Source has them at 15 percent off until early December.

Not any more. You can buy a real set of HIDs for $100 now. They don't look like normal bulbs at all. If you really cheap out, you can get them for less than that. Don't get me wrong, you get what you pay for. They are great. To me, they are better than Sliverstars. I had silverstars and HIDs are brighter and whiter (compaired side by side. check out the net, you will find some pictures. I also checked it out on my own car). That is just my opinion. You have had some real good luck with your silverstars. They are sweet, but I never had a pair last longer than a year (and I did not touch the bulb). They would be great if they had the same life span as regular bulbs (4 to 5 years or more), but they don't. Ask around, people will tell you the same thing. The real question is how much does someone drive at night? if not a lot, they last forever. If you do a lot of night driving, they don't last long. For the guy who asked the original question, I would buy some silverstars first and test them out. They may work best for you. For me, after the first set burned out and I bought another pair, I realized I just paid for a set of HIDs.

Not any more. You can buy a real set of HIDs for $100 now. They don't look like normal bulbs at all. If you really cheap out, you can get them for less than that. Don't get me wrong, you get what you pay for. They are great. To me, they are better than Sliverstars. I had silverstars and HIDs are brighter and whiter (compaired side by side. check out the net, you will find some pictures. I also checked it out on my own car). That is just my opinion. You have had some real good luck with your silverstars. They are sweet, but I never had a pair last longer than a year (and I did not touch the bulb). They would be great if they had the same life span as regular bulbs (4 to 5 years or more), but they don't. Ask around, people will tell you the same thing. The real question is how much does someone drive at night? if not a lot, they last forever. If you do a lot of night driving, they don't last long. For the guy who asked the original question, I would buy some silverstars first and test them out. They may work best for you. For me, after the first set burned out and I bought another pair, I realized I just paid for a set of HIDs.

Interesting, can you send me a link to these HID's for our Journey's. Did that price include the harness and high energy ballast? Thanks.

Phil.

I ran Silver Stars (SS) in my 2000 Grand Caravan Sport AWD for many of the 9 years.

I am a stickler about running all lights (head and fog) at all times - day and night.

You are right about life - they last about a year or a year and a half with them running all the time.

They do produce a nice light.

I may change the journey.

Interesting, can you send me a link to these HID's for our Journey's. Did that price include the harness and high energy ballast? Thanks.

Phil.

I did a write-up about them here: http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?showtopic=924

That should answer a lot (not all) qusetions.

It included eveything except the wire harness. It was $12 or $15 extra. You can get other kits with it included. This is just the kit I choose.

Just do your reseach and you will find a lot of good kits out there, there are also some bad ones too. The best way to weed them out is

to ask about the warranty. The good ones have a lifetime or something a lot longer than a standard year warranty (the warranties includes

everything except the bulbs). Another thing to look out for is these fly-by-night guys/stores that are here today, gone tomorrow. Go with a place

you trust to be there if you need to use your warrenty. Ebay is ok, just be careful with some of those dealers. Check on them and see how long

has their store front been around. Do they have a real store location, etc.

A lot of places will install them for you. One place quoted me $140. That included the kit with installation. I only did it myself so I could do the

write-up on it. It was pretty easy.....

• 7 years later...