Weird oil sender issue

I've been through one oil sender already so I wasn't shocked to see the check engine light come on . . . when I went through the menu I found the oil pressure gauge pinned to the top - another shorted sender, I guessed.

But when I was driving around the pressure indication dropped to normal ranges.  Dealer says to come in after making an appointment, but in any case there's no dangr in driving the vehicle.

I suppose it could be shorted only when cold, but it's a weird symptom.

i had my sender go bad also at around 48 k but was during the hot summer, had a local dealership ( i was on a trip out of my home state) repair under my extended warranty. he said the have had quite a few go bad he said the sender is working fine just reading high pressure , they must have gotton a bad load of units for our 2014 journeys oh well ended up costing me my $100 deductible the sender is in a real hard place to reach on the engine,, 

i was past the mileage on the 3 yr/36 miles and that part is not covered under the power train warranty from what i was told.. dealer said the cost of replacing that sender unit is about $400-500 as the book calls for them to pull a bunch of the top of the engine to get to it. there was a you-tube video of a dodge mechanic replacing it with out doing all that by working on it by feel. i tried to see it after watching the video and hell i couldn't hardly even see the part took him about 1/2 hr of course they would still charge you the full  time the book calls for ....

Edited by 2late4u

• 4 months later...

I just joined this forum looking for info and this string is the closest I could find to my issue.

I have a 2013 DJ/Rt 6 cyl. It has around 62,000 KM ( Canada)  I bought it used last spring.had ongoing issues but another has cropped up. I drove to

town ( 29 KM) shut it off, was fine on the way there. Went to go home and was hard to start and check engine light came on. I had it towed home as I was not willing to take the chance it would stall on the hwy. Its in the minus 20's here. I was looking through the forum posts for the check engine light as it was suggested by a few people to check the gas cap. I saw that if it was the gas cap, there would be an error on the odometer which there is not. So as I was checking for this, I notice my oil pressure is at 540 kpa, so at the very top.

I has just started it and let it run while i scrolled through the displays. My husband is out of town for work and I know nothing about these things. Is it normal to have the pressure this high or is that an indication of a problem? Just had some engine work done before Christmas, a known issue with cylinder head. No dealerships are pen in my area until Monday so will have it towed in then. In the mean time, looking for info about the oil pressure

when my oil pressure sender went bad it just showed highest pressure reading but the engine was running fine, no starting problems, so that is all i can tell you, dealer said he was getting a lot of 2014 for the oil sender shorting out. you might have a different problem since you are having problems starting it,i wouldn't drive it just have it towed in. sorry cant tell you anything to help good luck......