uconnect not working, dealer says I need whole new radio

2010 dodge journey radio, cd player work fine but uconnect screen shows 2 small quotes on the screen when I press phone icon..screen stays that way. Dealer says I need whole new radio to the tune of $900+. I would consider installing a new radio myself if I were confident that would fix the problem. Any advice? I am a 74 year old woman. 

Would I be correct in assuming that the touchscreen works properly for all functions UNTIL you touch the phone icon?

If so, then the problem is most likely to be the Bluetooth module - if the older radios are anything like the current ones it is a box that plugs in - it is usually in some hard to get to location, but someone who knows for certain will need to chime in here.

I looked and fond some reference to an external module on the last generation vehicles, but without access to confirming data I am not going to point you off on some wild goose chase.

If you do need a replacement radio check Ebay and your local recycling yards for much less expensive alternatives to a new unit from the dealer.