Overheating

Mark Rovet

My 2012 Dodge Journey overheated yesterday just as I was getting close to home. I had topped off the coolant earlier in the day as I knew I had a minor leak and the temperature gauge was getting high. The car was driving fine for 30 minutes after that and then got hot pretty quickly. 

This morning I opened my  radiator cap and did a cold start. I let the car heat up. I didn't see any bubbling in the radiator. There is no milky substance on the oil cap or dipstick and no white smoke coming out of the  exhaust

What is happening is that the engine light is on and the car isn't blowing hot air even with the heat on. 

Coolant levels look ok. 

Just wondering if my problem might be a faulty radiator cap or is it something else. 

Thank you

• First inclination is a failing thermostat not allowing the coolant to flow properly.
  • Next thing to check, see if your passenger side floor mats are wet (or that area). You may have a leak in your heating system.
  • Finally, check your water pump for leaks. They are sometimes a slow drip that get bigger when you are driving and when you stop the heat of the engine burns the leak before it even hits the ground. You will need to visually inspect it while someone else revs the car up when it is warm.
  • As far as your engine light, most auto parts stores will check it for free. It may lead to something completely different.

Good Luck...

Edited by Armando G