2012 with 4k miles leaking rear axle seal

baknblack

Since vehicle had about 1k on it have noticed an oil burning smell after driving. I crawled under it this weekend and found oil leaking from an axle seal on the rear differential and it had been making it's way onto the exhaust. It's at the dealer now. They found the same thing I did and are going to replace the seal. I hope it's nothing but a nicked seal during assembly. From my research on google seems it and various other seals seem to be a problem on a lot of dodge vehicles. Problems this early on make me glad I purchased a lifetime service contract on the vehicle. This particular Journey was assembled in Mexico. I don't know about everyone else but, I expected better from a new vehicle. going on 3 days without our brand new journey because the dealer didn't have the part. The dealer gave us a used ford to drive which they weren't obligated to do but, it was after my wife(it's her car) threatened to throw a fit in the showroom if they didn't. She told them if the car was a few yrs old she'd understand the no loaner car but, she'd only made one payment on it and they were giving her something to drive, lol. I love that woman!!! Our service contract reimburses 35 a day for 5 days for a rental(what a hassle) any comments anyone?

It sounds as though you have your problem in hand

and after all is said and done that's what warrantees

are for "stuff happens".

All Journeys/Fiat Freemonts are assembled in Mexico.

I have driven Chrysler products exclusively since 1984

and have never had a seal leakage with the exception

of a rocker cover gasket on a '90 Caravan.

• Official Dodge Support

Since vehicle had about 1k on it have noticed an oil burning smell after driving. I crawled under it this weekend and found oil leaking from an axle seal on the rear differential and it had been making it's way onto the exhaust. It's at the dealer now. They found the same thing I did and are going to replace the seal. I hope it's nothing but a nicked seal during assembly. From my research on google seems it and various other seals seem to be a problem on a lot of dodge vehicles. Problems this early on make me glad I purchased a lifetime service contract on the vehicle. This particular Journey was assembled in Mexico. I don't know about everyone else but, I expected better from a new vehicle. going on 3 days without our brand new journey because the dealer didn't have the part. The dealer gave us a used ford to drive which they weren't obligated to do but, it was after my wife(it's her car) threatened to throw a fit in the showroom if they didn't. She told them if the car was a few yrs old she'd understand the no loaner car but, she'd only made one payment on it and they were giving her something to drive, lol. I love that woman!!! Our service contract reimburses 35 a day for 5 days for a rental(what a hassle) any comments anyone?

Bak,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having with your new vehicle.

If the service contract is through Chrysler the dealer should not be giving you any hassle about the rental and should bill us directly for the charges. If the part does not come in they should extend the rental to you as well. If the part does not come in a timely fashion or if you have any issues with the dealer or the vehicle then I would suggest you call the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center directly and they will get involved to get the part issue resolved or to get with the dealer to resolve any other issues that you may encounter. The number directly to the Assistance Center is below.

800-992-1997 United States

800-465-2001 Canada

I had mine on the hoist last week, rotating tires, and noticed mine is leaking between the front and rear case halves. Between the front elec clutch housing and diff housing. Gotta put dye in it, and see which seal it is. Not leaking as bad as yours, but still wet :ohsnap::censored:

Bak,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having with your new vehicle.

If the service contract is through Chrysler the dealer should not be giving you any hassle about the rental and should bill us directly for the charges. If the part does not come in they should extend the rental to you as well. If the part does not come in a timely fashion or if you have any issues with the dealer or the vehicle then I would suggest you call the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center directly and they will get involved to get the part issue resolved or to get with the dealer to resolve any other issues that you may encounter. The number directly to the Assistance Center is below.

800-992-1997 United States

800-465-2001 Canada

Thanks for your reply. Now I understand how the rental car part of the service contract should work. It's also very handy to have those numbers in case I ever need them. The warranty is through Chrysler. good news is they got the seal in today and our vehicle is ready to pick up. I am hoping this issue is just a minor blip and we get years of trouble free service from this vehicle.

Overall I'm impressed with the build quality of the dodge. It really rides and drives nice but, With the new Pentastar engine and redesigned drive train plus all the elctronics on it I was afraid to purchase it without the lifetime service contract. I know there has to be a few bugs when new engineering is introduced.

I recently had to take my 2011 (~14k miles) in for the same thing...I noticed oil spots in the driveway, looked underneath the vehicle and saw oil all over the driver's side of the rear-diff housing. Took it in the next morning and they replaced the driver's side seal (luckily, they had it in stock and it was only about a half-day job. As much as we all would love to have perfection all of the time, that's just not the reality of life. As such, I am seriously looking at going for the Chrysler extended service contract.

Looks like I am in the this boat. Just bought the vehicle on Tuesday and noticed oil on my garage floor and also components are slick with it underneath. We only have 159 miles on the Journey and this is our first Chrysler product. I hope this is not a sign of things to come, ugh!

Edited by derek0609

I sure hope it's just a poor batch of seals or a glitch in the assmebly proccess. Time will tell I guess. I'll be keeping a close eye on mine.

I hope so, car's been at the dealer since Thursday. Rear main seal was bad, they over-nighted the part and said it might be done today, we will see. I had a few not nice things to say it my purchase survey I recieved from Chrysler and my neighbr who works at Chrysler has brough my vehicle to the attention of a few influential folks at HQ.....

I hope so, car's been at the dealer since Thursday. Rear main seal was bad, they over-nighted the part and said it might be done today, we will see. I had a few not nice things to say it my purchase survey I recieved from Chrysler and my neighbr who works at Chrysler has brough my vehicle to the attention of a few influential folks at HQ.....

Dang, and I thought I shouldn't have problems this early on. These new vehicles could get expensive for Chrysler huh.

Dang, and I thought I shouldn't have problems this early on. These new vehicles could get expensive for Chrysler huh.

Well apparently my issue was bigger than just a rear main seal. Chrysler is replacing my entire engine. Got the call yesterday from a customer service rep. When they replaced the seal, the car still leaked. There was a defect on the crankshaft and was orginally told they would replace that and the bearings only to get a call the next day saying I was getting a motor instead. I was ensured that everything would be perfect and that they were sending a quality engineer to inspect my vehicle when the new engine was in. We will see how it goes!

• 4 months later...