Is there a secret key secuence to see software versions?

I saw this trick here:

This is in the owner's manual, but it's quite simple. Turn the ignition "on" but do not start the engine. Within 10 seconds depress the accelerator pedal to the floor three times. Turn ignition off. Now start the engine. The oil change reminder should not come on. If it does, repeat the process.

Ok, the above is not so secret since it's in the owner manual, but I wonder if is there a combination of keypresses to show the various software versions (radio, bluetooth, engine, etc.) on the screen.

dont know about the new ones but older dodge cars you could turn the key on and off 3 times and then wait and it would check the computer to see if you had any codes for any problems you might have for the car like a spark plug and which one it was.was real helpfull to point you in the real direction. would guess you wlll need a machine to check for what you want .or take your vin # to the dealer for them to pull up the info on your car when it was built.. good luck

In 1991 in California (later all other states) all cars had to have a way to check for error codes, but when the ODBII 1996 became standard manufactures were asked to follow that instead of non-standard variances of OBDI or propietary.

Today you can get a cheap OBDII reader from ebay and you can have fun at all the things available!

So no, not anymore but to reset the oil reminder.

In 1991 in California (later all other states) all cars had to have a way to check for error codes, but when the ODBII 1996 became standard manufactures were asked to follow that instead of non-standard variances of OBDI or propietary.

Today you can get a cheap OBDII reader from ebay and you can have fun at all the things available!

So no, not anymore but to reset the oil reminder.

Actually, my '08 Caliber did indeed have the three key turn option and presented a bunch of information on the basic evic. Haven't tried it with the Journey...

Possibly, my point is that none of that is DOT mandatory so what works in GM won't in Dodge or Ford, etc..

OBDII is the bases for a protocol. In fact the latest releases of the CAN-BUS on top of OBDII is basically a network protocol in which the car is always talking to all devices.. So if a light is busted the computer knows and can send a message to the message centre.. New cars are as complicated as a computer on a network..

Actually, my '08 Caliber did indeed have the three key turn option and presented a bunch of information on the basic evic. Haven't tried it with the Journey...

press the driver temp UP and DOWN plus windshield defrost (all 3 buttons at the same time) for about 5 sec this will bring you to the dealer menu, and you will find what you are looking for there plus allot more, if at first you don't success try again it took me about 5 tries

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Do you know any other hidden menu? ;)

What options did it provide? I'm not near my vehicle to test at this point.

In the European version it gives you the serial number, and the version of the firmware loader for the cd and the radio. There's also a second screen with information about the climate control, but it just says "Screen not defined".

The messages are localized, but the layout is screwed up unless you set the main language as English.

This is what my 4.3 system shows:

PREV | System Information	| NEXT

HW PART#   0091102AG
SERIAL#    TQN12411QLVA
BUILD NEC: 7.1.6 H FLASH LOADER 4.5.1.0
BUILD BF:  7.1.6 H CD FIRMWARE      C23
SDAR HW Version
SDAR FW Version
SDAR ESW

Edit: thanks to google now I know that SDAR is "Satellite Digital Auto Radio", which I don't have so the fields are empty. I still don't know what "NEC" and "BF" mean.

And the next screen

PREV |	   HVAC	        | NEXT

Screen not defined

Edited by Lebowski

NEC might actually be the company that provides the CD Player, while BF might be IBM's BuildForge which helps manage sotware builds... I found reference to BF 7.1.3, but not 7.1.6 online.. In the context above, this would make sense, but I'm not positive.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I read somewhere that Ford was sending usb sticks to customers so that they could apply the updates by themselves, but with dodge/chrysler/fiat/everybody else you'll have to pay a visit to the dealer (and keep your fingers crossed hoping that the update doesn't cause more harm than good).

@ Lebowski

Why do you pay your dealer? The car is still under warranty.

Fiat has also updates, which can be downloaded by the customers. But this is for cars with blue&me systems only. Updates for uconnect are more critical, because uconnect is also a part of the vehicle control network. If the update-process fails, you might not be able to drive anymore. This happened once to my car, because someone scratched the CDROM. So we had to do a complete system reset. That's the reason, why they do updates only by the dealership.

Edited by Toy4ever

I read that the challenger has an hidden evic menu that you can access by pressing the up key 10 seconds then the down key until the menu appears.

I tried this combination on my freemont (as well as many other) and nothing happens.

Does anybody know if is there an hidden evic menu on the 2011/2012 journeys and how to access it?

just found one, but not like the challenger, and more emulates the 3 key turn mentioned further above:

- get in the car, but don't start or hit the brake

- hold the down selection button on the steering wheel

- turn the car over to run (but again, don't hit the brake)

you should get a full dash diagnostic (ie - dash lights up like a christmas tree and goes through a diagnostic routine) as well as version number informations on the evic.

Edited by Psyke

once you mentioned the evic for the challenger, I googled Hidden Evic, which brings up different ones for the 300, challenger, and Charger. The '12 charger had the only one that had a sequence that used keys that the journey shared (apart from the challenger, which didn't work for me either). For the 300, it wants you to hold down the music and compass keys on the steering wheel, which we don't have. I tried to use the back and cancel buttons (same physical locations), but that didn't work. The journey quite possibly has other menu's,and it would be great if our resident in the know people could share some of their knowledge :D.