Out of Date Map Message from my 2011 8.4N

So I got the following message on my 2011 8.4N :

post-3208-0-02634100-1327969126_thumb.jp

I decided to go to www.garmin.com/chrysler and whaddaya know, there is finally a map update for the 2011 8.4N! I have ordered it. The cost was $149 + $29.95 shipping to Canada, for a total of $178.95. A little steep but I want the latest map available.

No idea how long it will take to arrive but I will be sure to document the update procedure with pictures!

Edited by drb227

Hi DRB just wanted to add a little to your story.

As you probably know I have a 2010 R/T AWD Journey. It has a Navteq (Garmin's parent company) GPS. I wanted to update my maps and unfortunately they want $200 each time. I finally succumbed and upgraded. That was last May and the disk they sent me was wrong, after many emails back and forth we got it fixed (credit goes to a Navteq customer service rep). The reason I mention this is because I have a Garmin Nuvi 250W that I used in a previous car and it has a lifetime map update ($125) and is usually updated 4x a year.

I asked Navteq if they offered a lifetime update to which they replied NO. It's a shame when a $169 portable GPS has an option of a lifetime update when a $3000 built in system does not. Unfortunately for Navteq I really can't see any more upgrades. I must admit it is very frustrating.

If the updating of your system is like mine, it's a fairly painless and not a time consuming process.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

think i would have waited another year or two before updating unless you do a lot of driving and using it for your job as wouldnt think that many new roads or other things that would need updating this soon after buying you 2011, i have been using my portable garmin for about 3yrs now and havent had any problems with roads and or finding my places that i have wanted to vist.. good luck on your update

So I got the following message on my 2011 8.4N :

post-3208-0-02634100-1327969126_thumb.jp

I decided to go to www.garmin.com/chrysler and whaddaya know, there is finally a map update for the 2011 8.4N! I have ordered it. The cost was $149 + $29.95 shipping to Canada, for a total of $178.95. A little steep but I want the latest map available.

No idea how long it will take to arrive but I will be sure to document the update procedure with pictures!

I went to the website and found a map upgrade indeed, however, 2011 Dodge Journey does not seem to appear among the models listed under the COMPATIBILITY tab. Am I missing something?

If you go to www.garmin.com/chrysler and select the 2011 Journey from the left menu, the update is there.

This is what shows under the Compatibility tab:

This product is compatible with the the folllowing vehicles:

• Chrysler 300 (2011)
  • Dodge Charger (2011)
  • Dodge Journey (2011)

Edited by drb227

Do the new 2012 have the lifetime up-dates?

Like Windancer said ......I can't believe they don't have this option for the customer in this day and age.

I glad I didn't get the Nag. with my 2012 R/T now and know it will be outdated next year.

My portable one is just fine when we only use it about 3-4 times a year anyway....................Caper.....

I went to the website and found a map upgrade indeed, however, 2011 Dodge Journey does not seem to appear among the models listed under the COMPATIBILITY tab. Am I missing something?

Yes, you were right, the 2011 Journey is there indeed! Cool, let us know if you're happy with it after installing... The price is a little steep, but who knows, maybe it's worth it.

Bought my 2011 in June. I have not gotten the map outdated message as of yet. I went to the site and found the update, I think. There is no date anywhere that I can find. How would I know this is an update to the map that was factory installed? Maybe I am missing where that is listed. I certainly want to be sure that when I do get the message and decide to update that I am getting a newer map and not just reinstalling what I already have. Its probably in the manual somewhere, but it is possible to find the date/edition information within Uconnect? I'm not giving garmin $149 USD unless I'm sure that I'm getting a significantly updated product.

Peace.

If you go through the menus in the Nav screen, you will find an About button somewhere. That is where you find your date info.

I received the update DVD on Friday and installed the update. It was quite simple. Once you insert the DVD, it first verifies the update, then asks if you want to proceed. You have to write down a few numbers that it shows on the screen, then go to garmin.com/chrysler and select the option to activate the map. It will give you an activation code, which you must then enter into the screen on the Journey. After that, it takes roughly an hour for the update to load. Once done, I confirmed that my map was now dated 2012, where before it had been dated 2011.

At the garmin website, it only shows the 2012 map update for the 2011 models. It would not make any sense that it would show an update available that was for the 2011 maps, since that is what was already installed. Same reason why there is no map update for 2012 models. They already have the 2012 version of the maps. Next year, you will see that the 2012 models will show up with an update, which will be the 2013 version of the maps.

I'm not sure that I will do this again any time soon. It is a fair chunk of change for this update and all you get is the current map release, no new features or any other changes at all.

If you go through the menus in the Nav screen, you will find an About button somewhere. That is where you find your date info.

I received the update DVD on Friday and installed the update. It was quite simple. Once you insert the DVD, it first verifies the update, then asks if you want to proceed. You have to write down a few numbers that it shows on the screen, then go to garmin.com/chrysler and select the option to activate the map. It will give you an activation code, which you must then enter into the screen on the Journey. After that, it takes roughly an hour for the update to load. Once done, I confirmed that my map was now dated 2012, where before it had been dated 2011.

At the garmin website, it only shows the 2012 map update for the 2011 models. It would not make any sense that it would show an update available that was for the 2011 maps, since that is what was already installed. Same reason why there is no map update for 2012 models. They already have the 2012 version of the maps. Next year, you will see that the 2012 models will show up with an update, which will be the 2013 version of the maps.

I'm not sure that I will do this again any time soon. It is a fair chunk of change for this update and all you get is the current map release, no new features or any other changes at all.

Hi drb227, can you please tell me the file structure of the dvd update?

I have a situation that needs special attention.

I have a 2011 dodge journey with a RB5 uconnect touch 8.4N

My company relocate me to do a latin america experience to argentina.

The pay for all the realocation costs including bringing my brand new car to argentina.

So i asked a local dodge dealer to make a map update with local maps.

I receive the surprise that in argentina they do not sell the 8.4N

Only the 4.3 screen no navigation so they could not provide me the update.

I have a great screen and useless for southamerica.

Navtec does not solve me the problem, they only offer usa and europe maps.

I then decided to buy brand new maps from garmin for southamerica.

It does not work , the unit says that this maps does not work for this system.

My only chance could be to understand the file structure of a dvd update that you already bought

And use the oficial garmin maps to build a homebrew dvd.

Can you or anyone help me ?

Thanks in advance!

To each his own but I much prefer the integrated solution.
I certainly agree with you DRB227, integrated systems look much better IMO. I have to say that if you pay to have a Nav system there should be some provisions in place to have lifetime updates, it is somwhat embarssing that a $160 portable GPS unit from Garmin can have a lifetime update available while my built in unit does not. Terry Edited by Windancer

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be up for going in with a few of my Canadian Journey owners on buying the upgrade. If it just comes on a disc, then there's no reason why someone couldn't sell the used disc to another person when they're done.

I could be wrong but I think it is tied to your VIN somehow so I don't think it would work , but let me know if there is a way around it.

Terry

I could be wrong but I think it is tied to your VIN somehow so I don't think it would work , but let me know if there is a way around it.

Terry

Yeah, I see on their website now that they have an activation step you have to go through. Figures.

Man, this is actually kind of crappy that updates are not covered under warranty. I mean, I've had my Journey less than 1 year and it's telling me the map is out of date and now I find out that an update is over $150? Not cool.

Yeah, I see on their website now that they have an activation step you have to go through. Figures. Man, this is actually kind of crappy that updates are not covered under warranty. I mean, I've had my Journey less than 1 year and it's telling me the map is out of date and now I find out that an update is over $150? Not cool.

As I have stated before, it seems odd that my $160 portable Garmin Nuvi can have a lifetime update (for a cost) and my Navteq system in my car can not.

Terry

Just to be correct, it should perhaps be noted that Nokia owns Navteq, not Garmin, and that Garmin is a publicly traded company owned by . . . whomever.

As to why they charge for in-dash navigator map updates? Simple: The owners are a captive market - they have no options and, the reality is that Chrysler COULD have negotiated lifetime map updates for owners, but they want to keep their costs as low as possible - that's also why there are no tire warranties and why battery warranties are limited - they'd need to pay for them.

Just to be correct, it should perhaps be noted that Nokia owns Navteq, not Garmin, and that Garmin is a publicly traded company owned by . . . whomever.

I am definitely not doubting you, but the name Garmin definately does appear on my update

As to why they charge for in-dash navigator map updates? Simple: The owners are a captive market.

True..... I must admit I am a little dissappointed that's all.

Terry