Daytime Running Lights Activated

generaltso

For some odd reason, Chrysler ships most US Journeys with the Daytime Running Lights disabled. There's an option in the Uconnect settings to turn them on and off, but it doesn't actually do anything. I went into my dealer today to have them enabled. They weren't sure how to do it, so I told them that I read in this forum that the sales code for DRLs needs to be added to my VIN and then the computer in the car has to be flashed with that new code. They were able to add the DRL code to my VIN through their Dealer Connect software without having to contact Chrysler, and successfully flashed the car. Now the DRLs work as expected and can be turned on and off through the Uconnect option. Why in the world wouldn't all US Journeys just ship from the factory that way? If somebody really didn't want them, they could just turn them off. I can't think of a single reason why a safety feature would be disabled from the factory, but I'm glad I was able to get them enabled without too much drama.

That is really, really odd. If all the equipment is there, why go through all the extra work to disable them? Are DRL illegal somewhere that nobody knows about?

They're not required, but they're certainly not illegal anywhere. Most new cars that I've seen do come with DRLs, and they're advertised correctly as a safety feature. The Journey is the first car I've seen that gives the option of turning them on and off, which makes the fact that they're disabled even more pointless. According to the 2012 spec sheet, DRLs are not even available as an option on the SXT, Crew, or R/T.

I can't see that the U.S models can fully have the DRL and software removed and not even installed for the dealers to have access. When the Journey are made in Mexico there can't be that much savings to affect changes between the U.S and Canada models. Just like the MPH and KPH there are there for both to use. My guess is it;s there but most of the dealers in the U.S never need to apply the training or even be taught to make the changes.........What do you guys think....Caper....

My dealer in Albuquerque told me that my R/T was not equipped with DRLs and therefore could not be enabled. Hardware not there? Dunno. Disappointed.

Dodge Cares, can you check into this if I send you my VIN in a PM?

Your dealer was correct in saying that your R/T was not equipped with DRLs, because it's not even an option to have them enabled from the factory on an R/T. But that only means that the sales code for DRLs is not assigned to your VIN. There's a whole list of sales codes that the dealer can add to your VIN as dealer installed options, and DRL is one of them. This is the same kind of thing they have to do to enable the trailer hitch wiring, it's just a different sales code.

Your dealer was wrong about the hardware for DRLs not being there. There is no additional hardware needed, just a sales code and a computer flash. It shouldn't cost you more than a half hour of labor. If you really want them, you should go back to your dealer and specifically tell them that they need to add the DRL sales code through their Dealer Connect software and flash the computer.

My guess is it;s there but most of the dealers in the U.S never need to apply the training or even be taught to make the changes.........What do you guys think....Caper....

No need to guess because I know for a fact this is true. Enabling the DRLs is just a matter of adding the right sales code to the VIN, but most dealers don't know that. My dealer didn't know it either until I told them how to do it. They said they've never had the request before. The only reason they even knew how to add the sales code was that they had just installed my trailer hitch a few days before and had to add the sales code for that to get the wiring working.

• 1 month later...

Dodge certainly has some odd ways of doing things. My 2012 Hero AWD has the option in the touch screen menu to enable - I enabled them and they work fine. Strange that other 2012 AWDs have them disabled.

And dealers vary WIDELY in their competency with the computers. My dealer enabled the DRLs on my Challenger R/T in a couple minutes - but I know it's been a nightmare at some dealers for Challenger owners to get the DRLs enabled.

Edited by Jay Sixspeedrt

So, my GF went to get our DRL's enabled this morning and the dealership told her it couldn't be done because we don't have the AUTO Lights feature on our 2012 Journey AVP. Can anybody confirm this as fact or crap?? Thanks in advance, Kris.

They're full of crap. the DRLs having nothing to do with AUTO headlights. Wouldn't that also mean that DRLs wouldn't work in Canada without AUTO lights? That's obviously not the case since they're required.

The AVP is actually one of the two trim levels in which DRLs are officially offered as an option. Just tell the dealer to look at the 2012 DJ Feature Availability sheet.

So, my GF went to get our DRL's enabled this morning and the dealership told her it couldn't be done because we don't have the AUTO Lights feature on our 2012 Journey AVP. Can anybody confirm this as fact or crap?? Thanks in advance, Kris.
my 2011 mainstreet does not have auto lights but my drls worked after i activaited them thur the radio..

No need to guess because I know for a fact this is true. Enabling the DRLs is just a matter of adding the right sales code to the VIN, but most dealers don't know that. My dealer didn't know it either until I told them how to do it. They said they've never had the request before. The only reason they even knew how to add the sales code was that they had just installed my trailer hitch a few days before and had to add the sales code for that to get the wiring working.

Hi, I own a 2009 SXT. I have nav and backup camera, but no touch screen, all parameters are controlled thru the "joystick", and/or "setup" button. Do you think I'll be able to see the DRL option (disabled, of course) in my screen?

I've no idea about what button I should press, just to get the option. I understood that, if I want to activate DRLs I've got to request the sales code to my dealer (and pray a little bit so that they know what I'm talking about). ;)

Hi, I own a 2009 SXT. I have nav and backup camera, but no touch screen, all parameters are controlled thru the "joystick", and/or "setup" button. Do you think I'll be able to see the DRL option (disabled, of course) in my screen?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that since it's a completely different system in 09 and 10 model years.

Well, my 2012 HERO awd doesn't have auto lights - and the DRLs work just fine.

It's a lack of dealer knowledge that's the issue. LIke I said before, Challenger owners have the same issues getting the DRLs enabled on those cars as well. The DRLs can be enabled on EVERY Challenger sold - but some owners are told by the dealer it's not possible, can't be done, blah blah blah. It's just cover for a lack of familiarity with the StarScan (or whatever the tool the dealers use now is) and the tool's sub-menus.

Any advice on how to gently but firmly tell my dealership they are full of shit??

Just tell them that there are many other Journey owners in this forum that were able to have them enabled. Tell them specifically that they need to add the sales code for DRLs to your VIN through DealerConnect and flash the computer in the car.

Cool. Thank for the replies everybody. I found a couple interesting things on the web after work today.

1: http://www.media.chr..._Journey_FA.pdf This a link that specifically list DRLS as an available feature, and the AUTO light feature as NOT being available on the AVP. The exact opposite of what the dealership said.

2: http://www.sequentia....htm#ChallTip41 This is step by step instructions for a dealer to enable DLR on a new Challenger. I bet our Journeys can be adjusted exactly the same way.

• Official Dodge Support
Check your build sheet too - Mine has the following LMKP Daytime Running Headlamps, High Beam If you don't have this on your build sheet, I would surmise you don't have DRLs. If you do have it on the build sheet, I would print and take to the dealer and show them.

On 2011-12 Journeys the DRL's are sales code LMK and are included in the Popular Equipment Group sales code ALW and the Premium Group sales code ANF. Both of these equipment goups were available on the 2011 Express and Mainstreet models as well as the 2012 Se,AVP, and SXT models as optional equipment and standard on all Canadian units. If you have the LMK sales code the dealer should not have to do anything to activate as they should already be available to be used. If you do not have this option it is my understanding that they can be added by the dealer at whatever price the dealer charges to do so.