I got a buddy to help me with the Lockpick C8 install (extra hands were useful!) into my 2011 Journey last night -- and it went *very* smoothly.

Derivative99 -- if you're reading this -- My reverse camera picture quality is that same as without the Lockpick...I don't notice it being darker at all...You didn't hit one of the two brightness wheels to the left of the steering, did you? One of the two dims the 8.4" screen if you lower it far enough...

So far I'm enjoying the unlocked features...Ended up modifying the molding that snaps in underneath the entertainment unit -- snapping two of the plastic "vent" pieces allowed us to feed the Lockpick's mini-harness through to the Lockpick unit I'm keeping in the centre console -- I'm going to put black braid/hose on the exposed wires and velcro the Lockpick into the centre console...

I haven't tried the AUX video yet, but did the firmware update without issues.

Cheers!

Quark

Quark -- no it is not the brightness wheel to the left of steering. As soon as I remove my LockPick the picture quality returns to "normal". Can you test something for me, that I just noticed today? If I use my navigation system and enter a location, then hit go and start driving, the vehicle speed in the lower right corner of the 8.4" screen, when Nav is selected, always says a speed of 0. My speedometer and the speed in the EVIC (small digital screen in to the left of the speedometer) displays the correct speed, however, the 8.4" Nav screen always says 0. I, again removed the LockPick today and the speed displayed fine on the 8.4" screen. Only with the LockPick do I always have a speed of 0. By the way, I have a 2011 R/T in Canada. Are you in Canada?

Also, have you added a front camera? I just did this today, using the CoastalEtech Bar cam and the quality is also poor for that. Very washed out. It is almost like a white/grey camera, no colour. However, I also have an iPod hooked up to the LockPick and the quality of the video from that is perfect. So, reverse and front camera have poor quality, but iPod has perfect quality. I can't figure it out. It is almost as if I need different contrast setting for each camera that is hooked up to the LockPick.

Finally, one more question for anyone who hooked up a front camera. Now that I hooked up the front camera, my auxiliary outlets that have the "key" on them (ie. only work when the car was on...found by the very back lift gate, and just below the 8.4" screen in the cubby area) no longer work. The outlet with the battery at the back of the centre console, in the second row of seats, works fine.

Derivative99 -- if you're reading this -- My reverse camera picture quality is that same as without the Lockpick...I don't notice it being darker at all...You didn't hit one of the two brightness wheels to the left of the steering, did you? One of the two dims the 8.4" screen if you lower it far enough...

Hi --

Quark -- no it is not the brightness wheel to the left of steering. As soon as I remove my LockPick the picture quality returns to "normal". Can you test something for me, that I just noticed today? If I use my navigation system and enter a location, then hit go and start driving, the vehicle speed in the lower right corner of the 8.4" screen, when Nav is selected, always says a speed of 0. My speedometer and the speed in the EVIC (small digital screen in to the left of the speedometer) displays the correct speed, however, the 8.4" Nav screen always says 0. I, again removed the LockPick today and the speed displayed fine on the 8.4" screen. Only with the LockPick do I always have a speed of 0. By the way, I have a 2011 R/T in Canada. Are you in Canada?

Yes, I'm in Canada. I don't have an R/T -- I've got the SXT Crew. The speed of zero is likely to defeat the "if moving, don't allow GPS data entry".

Also, have you added a front camera? I just did this today, using the CoastalEtech Bar cam and the quality is also poor for that. Very washed out. It is almost like a white/grey camera, no colour. However, I also have an iPod hooked up to the LockPick and the quality of the video from that is perfect. So, reverse and front camera have poor quality, but iPod has perfect quality. I can't figure it out. It is almost as if I need different contrast setting for each camera that is hooked up to the LockPick.

That's odd -- In my email thread with Coastaletech they told me that since I had a factory reverse camera that I could NOT use any other cameras...so I didn't try...

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

My speedometer and the speed in the EVIC (small digital screen in to the left of the speedometer) displays the correct speed, however, the 8.4" Nav screen always says 0. I, again removed the LockPick today and the speed displayed fine on the 8.4" screen. Only with the LockPick do I always have a speed of 0.

Is that how the lockpick gets around the Nav input restriction? How can it navigate properly if it always thinks that it's not moving? The Coastaletech site says that the Lockpick won't interfere with any Navigation functions. But if the speed is always shown as 0, that's certainly an interference. I would imaging that it also won't tell you when you're speeding if it doesn't think you're moving?

Is that how the lockpick gets around the Nav input restriction? How can it navigate properly if it always thinks that it's not moving? The Coastaletech site says that the Lockpick won't interfere with any Navigation functions. But if the speed is always shown as 0, that's certainly an interference. I would imaging that it also won't tell you when you're speeding if it doesn't think you're moving?

The work around for a Lockpick equipped GPS is the same as a portable unit in that it uses satellite position fixes to calculate movement/speed. I have a Garmin Dezi 560 LMT that displays vehicle speed using this method. It's not spot on with the car's all the time but not more than 1 MPH off +/- .The Lockpick interferes with the trans selector position signal and/or the VSS signal to make the GPS think the vehicle is in park.

The work around for a Lockpick equipped GPS is the same as a portable unit in that it uses satellite position fixes to calculate movement/speed. I have a Garmin Dezi 560 LMT that displays vehicle speed using this method. It's not spot on with the car's all the time but not more than 1 MPH off +/- .The Lockpick interferes with the trans selector position signal and/or the VSS signal to make the GPS think the vehicle is in park.

Does that mean that the Lockpick doesn't interfere with the speed display on the Nav?

Does that mean that the Lockpick doesn't interfere with the speed display on the Nav?

The Lockpick does interfere with the VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) and the signal from the PCM/BCM that the car is not in park. This is what allows you to input changes to destination or for the passenger to watch video with the vehicle in motion. The factory nav in your car with the Lockpick is using just the GPS satellite signals for location. The speed display most likely depends on the VSS signal for it's readout.

The Lockpick does interfere with the VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) and the signal from the PCM/BCM that the car is not in park. This is what allows you to input changes to destination or for the passenger to watch video with the vehicle in motion. The factory nav in your car with the Lockpick is using just the GPS satellite signals for location. The speed display most likely depends on the VSS signal for it's readout.

Hmm. So the factory Nav doesn't use the satellite position to display it's speed? It uses the VSS signal from the car instead? I guess it's not a huge deal if the Nav always says that it's going 0mph, but I like how the speed turns red when I go over the speed limit on my standalone Garmin. I suppose that will never work on the factory Nav when it's lockpicked.