KUHMHO TIRE DILEMMA

JOURNEYLESS

Hi there, I have been driving for the past 3 weeks with my spare tire due to the unavailability of 225/55R19 tires. The Dodge dealership has been less than "skookum" as their dealership name states. They have reported that the tires are not there problem and we are still awaiting a call back from 4 days ago. As many other Journey owners have found, if you get a flat your hooped. I am curious with the recent news from South Korea regarding the recall of over 300,000 Kuhmo tires. After speaking with Kuhmo, we have found out that Dodge requested a higher quality of tire for the Journey (H-rated) and therefore making the T-rated tires obsolete. This leaves us Journey owners with the great expense of switching out tires at our expense......Anyone with information that could help please let me know.....driving a max of 50Km where there is only one way in/out of my town and the speed is 80Km for a good part is isolating!

Hi there, I have been driving for the past 3 weeks with my spare tire due to the unavailability of 225/55R19 tires. The Dodge dealership has been less than "skookum" as their dealership name states. They have reported that the tires are not there problem and we are still awaiting a call back from 4 days ago. As many other Journey owners have found, if you get a flat your hooped. I am curious with the recent news from South Korea regarding the recall of over 300,000 Kuhmo tires. After speaking with Kuhmo, we have found out that Dodge requested a higher quality of tire for the Journey (H-rated) and therefore making the T-rated tires obsolete. This leaves us Journey owners with the great expense of switching out tires at our expense......Anyone with information that could help please let me know.....driving a max of 50Km where there is only one way in/out of my town and the speed is 80Km for a good part is isolating!

So... Did you get your tire replaced?

I think that the H rating is for 210 KM/H and the T rating was for 180 KM/H.

I just read the following:

"The issue stems from Kumho's factory in Tianjin, where CCTV secretly filmed staff producing new tires with unacceptably high amounts of recycled rubber, raising safety concerns."

I had started reading about all of the tire supply problems AFTER I had ordered my Journey. The salesman at my dealership checked with his parts department and let me know that they keep a set in stock.

If I wreck 1 tire within 10000 km I may replace with the original, but if it is more tires or more KM than that, I will replace the whole set with 235/55r19's which is what dodge should have done in the first place...

• 3 weeks later...

So... Did you get your tire replaced?

I think that the H rating is for 210 KM/H and the T rating was for 180 KM/H.

I just read the following:

"The issue stems from Kumho's factory in Tianjin, where CCTV secretly filmed staff producing new tires with unacceptably high amounts of recycled rubber, raising safety concerns."

I had started reading about all of the tire supply problems AFTER I had ordered my Journey. The salesman at my dealership checked with his parts department and let me know that they keep a set in stock.

If I wreck 1 tire within 10000 km I may replace with the original, but if it is more tires or more KM than that, I will replace the whole set with 235/55r19's which is what dodge should have done in the first place...

I just replaced mine with a set of 235/55/19 Michelin touring tires. Them seem to be ok. Had them 1 week so far. They don't have as nice of a fit (appearance) on the 19in rims as the original tires did, but the ride is good and they handle well. They cost a bit more, but the tire dealer said they will last a long time. I founda set of Kuhmos at one dealer, but opted not to get them. I figure if I do get a flat, then what? Atleast with the 235s I can get a new one right away. I had problems with my original tires anyway, so I'm probably better off with the other brand.

I just replaced mine with a set of 235/55/19 Michelin touring tires. Them seem to be ok. Had them 1 week so far. They don't have as nice of a fit (appearance) on the 19in rims as the original tires did, but the ride is good and they handle well. They cost a bit more, but the tire dealer said they will last a long time. I founda set of Kuhmos at one dealer, but opted not to get them. I figure if I do get a flat, then what? Atleast with the 235s I can get a new one right away. I had problems with my original tires anyway, so I'm probably better off with the other brand.

So those tires you got fit onto the 225/55/19 rims?

So those tires you got fit onto the 225/55/19 rims?

Yup they fit. I got the Latitude touring tires. The dealership that didn't have any 225s in stock suggested a larger tire. Belle Tire said the same thing, so I bought them there and they fit on the rims.

I looked at equivalent sizes and 245/50/19 is the closest to that size at -0.049" diameter.

I am no expert....... but would a 245 wide tire fit the standard Mopar 19" rim comfortably? ie: without the center of the tire bulging out?

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That tire size is the "official recommended replacement size" from Chrysler. I was recently working out of state when I had a flat that was unrepairable. Knowing the availability problems with this tire, I went to the local Dodge dealer, only to have them tell me that this tire is no longer avaiable and would have to buy two of the 235/55/19 sized tires. I called Chrysler, and to make a long story short; they have a stash of tires, but will only give them out one at a time for situations like mine. I didn't want to replace more than one because I only had 20,000 miles on this set. In a conversation with my rep at Chrysler, she provided me with the official recommended replacemnet size. So when this set is worn out, I'm definately switching to a more readily available size. It took four days to Fed Ex my replacement tire to my local Dodge dealer.

It is a relief to know that replacement tires won't be an issue.

Yeah, but until you wear out those 19" Kuhmo's you're living on borrowed time and holding your breathe. Unless you're close enough to home for that wonderful doughnut of a spare tire to get you there, well then drive carefully and hope you don't have to wait for a replacement tire to be shipped to you!

Happy Motoring...

Edited by brwengel

Therefore, it seems that the replacement issue for the Kuhmo's tires is a 235/55/19 tire. Since I am not a car expert I would like confirmation that there are no problems with the fit on the rims, on rubbing inside the tire well, the handling, and the noise. In addition, any suggestions on a brand of tires to purchase that would predominately be a highway tire and sometime drive in the snow in Colorado.

• 1 month later...

Is there a change in tire pressure by using 235/55 19?

What about an official letter from Chrysler? I change my tires at Costco and they won't accept anything different than what's indicated on the door sticker.

I am new here. But I bought my Journey pre 2009, custom order from the factory. I opted for the 19" wheels. Oh well. I have 85K on my 2009 and I am now looking to replace the tire set for the second time. I bought the first replacement set from tireteam.com and got a "Decent" price. Now, pricing is much higher, and they are harder to find.

as to An official letter from dodge. Try this. Found this on Chryslers website:

https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/fleetcda/portal?pageid=6344ce89b65cd210VgnVCM100000e9261c35RCRD&sectionid=011eab2754f1e110VgnVCM100000e9261c35RCRD&ptitle=Tires

Effective April 2011, Engineering has approved Alternative 19 Inch Tires for MY 2009 - 2010 (JC) Journey. Please see the following Service Bulletin information: Models: 2009 -2010 (JC) Journey Subject: Service Bulletin 22-002-11 Overview: This bulletin specifies alternative 19" tires that should be used if the Khumo Solus KH16 P225/55R19 99T All Season (U.S. and Canada Markets Only) is not available. Discussion: The following 19" tires can be used as aftermarket replacement tires for the 2009 and 2010 model year Dodge Journey in the event that the Khumo Solus KH16 P225/55R19 99T All Season (U.S. and Canada Markets Only) are not available. Approved Alternative Tires:

Hankook Optimo P235/55R19 101H, DOT 5MH4 PDFH H725 Standard Touring All Season

Michelin Pilot P235/55R19 101H, DOT HN8F A31X HXMXM4 Grand Touring All Season

NOTE: It is recommended to use these tires only as sets of four.

Doesn't the change from 225 to 235 make the odometer slower by 1.5%? Is there anyway of getting this also modified at a Dodge dealership to read both the speed and odometer reading correctly?

There should be a way with a flash in the ECU but the way Dodge is handling other problems I doubt they have the decency to help customers out. It's too easy.

so, I am just wondering, when you went to the 235/55/19 from the 225/55/19, did the salesman explain the effects on your spedometer? He should have told you that your spedometer now will indicate incorrectly,,,,,somewhere around 5 mph below your actual speed. Just an FYI

Therefore, it seems that the replacement issue for the Kuhmo's tires is a 235/55/19 tire. Since I am not a car expert I would like confirmation that there are no problems with the fit on the rims, on rubbing inside the tire well, the handling, and the noise. In addition, any suggestions on a brand of tires to purchase that would predominately be a highway tire and sometime drive in the snow in Colorado.

you can get a set of 235/55/19's but they are kind of hard to find and will make your spedometer read 5mph too slow for your actual speed.

Go to TireRack.com look at the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza in 235/50/19 they will fit nicely on your rims, drive great in snow and only run your spedometer about 1 mph slow....these are what I bought. Oh, and my guys re-used my stems...they just have to be careful removing the old tires..... :happy feet: