Electrical problems

While driving or with the car in park with the engine running occasionally the dashboard light come on, the gauges go to 0 and the wipers turn on. None of the turn signals or other steering column functions work while this is happening.

It occurred once at 28k miles, but it stopped right away, then another time at 32k miles. now since aprx 38k miles it has been doing it often at least once per week.

dealer could not find a solution, and i can't keep paying useless diagnostic fees.

Any ideas????

Ask if the Dealership find any Diagnostic Trouble code stored in any of the computer. and did they updated ALL of the computer to the latest software?

How long does this effect last? have you tried to shut off the car and restart it? Did you went to the dealership for this complaint b4 the waranty expire? (36k miles). Because if you have it on record, by the time the cluster just dies, you can call Chrysler and ask them to waranty it.

Ur symptom usually occurs when the Cluster loses BUS signal (Communication), it could be wiring. There is a Case file where a tech found a Pinched wire on the Left Sun Visor Mounting screw, might want to give that a look. or else wiring problem can happen anywhere in the car. There is nothing your Mechanic can do if everything works OK when he is in the car.

or You might need a new cluster, the Cluster controls all the Wiper and steering column. But the problem is the Cluster is so expensive, and this is just a guess.

Edited by steak

• 3 months later...

While driving or with the car in park with the engine running occasionally the dashboard light come on, the gauges go to 0 and the wipers turn on. None of the turn signals or other steering column functions work while this is happening.

It occurred once at 28k miles, but it stopped right away, then another time at 32k miles. now since aprx 38k miles it has been doing it often at least once per week.

dealer could not find a solution, and i can't keep paying useless diagnostic fees.

Any ideas????

Did you ever get this figured out or fixed? Mine started do the same thing on Fri night, but only when the drivers door was open. Drove it to and from work on Saturday and it was fine, went to leave Saturday night and now it does it all the time. I have just over 38k miles on it. Also I have the remote start option on mine and if I use the remote start it will not do these things until I put the "key"/fob in and turn it to "ON". Or anyone with any ideas please let me know. I am taking it into the shop tomorrow to have the wiring harness recall work performed and if that doesn't fix it, I would like to give the mechanic ideas on what to try.

Edited by Nates.Mom0721

• 1 month later...

We had the same problem on our 2009 SXT (bought new in March 2008) at the 47K mile mark. At the time there was an open recall for the door harness. Took it in and ended up trading it for a '10 Journey SXT (slightly used). I've yet to find out what the "problem" and solution was. My research showed it had something to do with the CAN C bus (communications controller). Either the CAN C bus itself failed or there was a short somewhere causing the issue. I hope to find out what the issue was the next time I'm at the dealer. I asked the service manager the last time I was there with my Ram, but he simply couldn't remember - they service 85 vehicles a week. I'm not sure if the door wiring recall solved the issue or not.

• 2 months later...

Ok, problem has been solved. After numerous attempts at a diagnosis by the dealer they finally found the culprit, the blue tooth module. it seams that it was shorting out and causing the tipm module to reset and display the symptoms. The bluetooth did not work on and off, and it was never correlated to the module. was always written off as a secondary effect of the problem.

Hope this helps some of you out there.

Edited by eurocat

• 8 months later...
  • Official Dodge Support

I have recently just started having this problem. Very frustrating and I dont know where to begin as far as troubleshooting it.

Easy,

The only thing I could find that might be related is to make sure that the CCN (cab compartment node) has the lastest software update.

• Official Dodge Support
Ok thanks for the reply, first what/where is the CCN, and how do I verify the latest sofware.

Easy,

Here is the technical description. The dealer would have to hook up their diagnostic tool to determine if you have the latest software update and if a newer version is available for your VIN.

The instrument cluster contains the necessary hardware and software to serve as the vehicle electronic body control module and is commonly referred to as the Cab Compartment Node (CCN). The CCN utilizes integrated circuitry and information carried on the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus and the Local Interface Network (LIN) data bus, along with several hardwired analog and multiplexed inputs to monitor sensors and switches throughout the vehicle. The CCN also contains various indicators, analog gauges, and a standard blue-green digital Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) unit. The standard VFD is a fixed segment unit that displays odometer information, automatic transmission gear selector position (PRNDL), and several other indicators, some of which are model dependant.

I believe the CCN is commonly known as the instrument cluster. Google "dodge journey+CCN (cab compartment node" and you will get quite a few references to the subject.
Ok, lol, that makes me feel stupid. I will look into it. How does that affect the wipers though. I had to pull my wiper fuse so I dont look like a fool riding down the street due to this. Edited by its2easy

As a sidenote try reading the PDF at this URL

http://www.fleetchrysler.ca/en/pdf/2011_Police_Upfitters_Guide.pdf

While I realize this is referencing the the Police Charger Vehicle

it will give you a lots of info on the Pentastar V6 and many other

items peculiar to Chrysler electrical systems.

• 1 month later...

Any ideas????

mine is doing the same thing, was this ever fixed, if so what was cause it. i have a 2009 sxt with 53k miles on it.

the guages go dead to zero then chime and windshield wipers go off and on. all dummy lights blink.

please help.

Did you ever get this figured out or fixed? Mine started do the same thing on Fri night, but only when the drivers door was open. Drove it to and from work on Saturday and it was fine, went to leave Saturday night and now it does it all the time. I have just over 38k miles on it. Also I have the remote start option on mine and if I use the remote start it will not do these things until I put the "key"/fob in and turn it to "ON". Or anyone with any ideas please let me know. I am taking it into the shop tomorrow to have the wiring harness recall work performed and if that doesn't fix it, I would like to give the mechanic ideas on what to try.

nate.mom0721 did you get yours fixed? what was it?

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, that's my first post here. I live in Brazil and own a 2009 SXT journey that o love, but recently the car is showing the same problems related in this topic. I tried to clean the electrical connections and now the car's behavior gets a little better, and the problems just occur when i insert the key and the panel makes the initial crosscheck. The major problem is because here in Brazil parts and serviços are ridiculously expensive and the car is now no dealer to make the door wiring and brakes recall. I saw in other forums some guys trying the cleaning connections solutions or even disassembling some aftermarket components to solve the problems. I have a rear parking sensor installed and ask for the dealer to remove just to see what happens. Any ideas about how to proceed? Sorry about the english, i'll do better next time!!!

• 1 year later...

I have a 09 I guess I have a electrical problem cuz sometime my esp light pop and I don't have signal lights plus can unlock the car from inside I'm going crazy and I'm not sure if this vehicle have a recall?!!

Your servicing dealer will know if there are any recalls on your particular vehicle. Give them a call.

• 3 months later...

mine is doing the same thing, was this ever fixed, if so what was cause it. i have a 2009 sxt with 53k miles on it.

the guages go dead to zero then chime and windshield wipers go off and on. all dummy lights blink.

please help.

Read the third post, it describes his fix

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem, and it happening more frequently. Dash lights, door chime, all guages not reading, and wipers going bonkers. This is a major concern for me as this is my wifes car. My car does not have bluetooth or remote start, so those are not factors for me. Has anyone been able to get this resolved?

If removing the negative cable on your battery does not work, check the connections to your TIPM. If you see corrosion, clean it. If these steps do not work, it may be that your TIPM is dieing.

Edited by dhh3

• 5 months later...

Hi guys, that's my first post here. I live in Brazil and own a 2009 SXT journey that o love, but recently the car is showing the same problems related in this topic. I tried to clean the electrical connections and now the car's behavior gets a little better, and the problems just occur when i insert the key and the panel makes the initial crosscheck. The major problem is because here in Brazil parts and serviços are ridiculously expensive and the car is now no dealer to make the door wiring and brakes recall. I saw in other forums some guys trying the cleaning connections solutions or even disassembling some aftermarket components to solve the problems. I have a rear parking sensor installed and ask for the dealer to remove just to see what happens. Any ideas about how to proceed? Sorry about the english, i'll do better next time!!!

Hi, I had the same issue in my SXT 2009. It was fixed after software reprogramming. I live in Campinas SP. Maybe you can find an electronics wizzard in your region to do the job for you. My email is vaniusp@gmail.com should you need any help.